New Online Games Repository

Started by
4 comments, last by NewKlear 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone, This is my first post on the forums, so firstly; hello everyone. I recently got it into my head that it'd be fun to code a website as a kind of repository for amateur game creators to post their games on. So i've started it: http://www.ministryofgames.org but was wondering what what the developers like to see? Would you like to be able to login and view your game in great detail i.e. how many downloads its received on any given day, managing the download yourself so you can keep your download up to date with any new releases etc etc. Is there anything else that you guys can think of that you would like to be able to do? Or maybe theres something you'd like to see from a downloaders perspective? All and any comments are welcome [cool] Steve [Edited by - NewKlear on September 3, 2004 5:00:41 AM]
Advertisement
Hey that sounds like a pretty cool idea. I would like to see an advanced search and rating tool. Also it would be really nice to see detailed information about the project like: when the project started, when was the last release, what the status of the project is (alpha, beta, demo, etc).

Have you heard of Happy Penguin? It contains an archive of amateur games for Linux (currently mine isn't on there because I want to wait until we have a playable demo to add it). The site is seriously lacking in some areas, but I think you could use it as an example to help build up your site.

Umm I just took a look at your site and the first thing I noticed was content links everywhere. Its kind of intimidating to go to a site and have about 50 links on the main page. I think it would do you good to make the site less-intimidating for first timers, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

I looked at some of the games on your site. I don't think you had links directly to the official game webpage, but I may have just missed them. There were links to the publisher, which would typically allow you to get to the offical game page. However, that extra step seems like it is really unnecessary. As a developer, I don't really care much about the little blurbs people write for their games, I want more details, and that usually means looking at their official page. Perhaps a "Official home page" link or something would be good. Just my thoughts.
Quote:I don't think you had links directly to the official game webpage, but I may have just missed them.

They're at the top of every entry. It says 'Developer: <developer name>' which is a link to their homepage :) none of the links are to the publisher as the ones on there at the moment don't have one...

Quote:I would like to see an advanced search and rating tool. Also it would be really nice to see detailed information about the project like: when the project started, when was the last release, what the status of the project is (alpha, beta, demo, etc).

I'm working on an advanced search tool and im bouncing a few ideas around for rating at the moment. As for project info we'll only be accepting demo's and full games.

Quote:Have you heard of Happy Penguin?

Thanks for the link, ill have a lookie :)
That's what I get for now double-checking before I post, sorry. Forget any mention of publishers. I guess what I was hoping for is a direct link to the official homepage for the game, rather than the developer's general page. For example, for the BI-NARY game, this page sends you to natomic.com. From their it is not really straight-forward how to find the BI-NARY page (you have to click the little game-pad icon on the top of the page, and then go to BI-NARY in the list). Rather than (or maybe in addition to) linking to natomic.com, I think it would be helpful to link directly to the official BI-NARY game page. I think it saves a lot of running around, but it's just my suggestion.
Oh ok good idea. I'll probably link to both then, maybe a 'Official Game Page' link...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement