Managing source code with many computers

Started by
7 comments, last by Xai 19 years, 7 months ago
I have a computer at home, one at work, and a laptop. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping all of the code sync'd and current on every machine. I can't email the code to each machine because with all of my graphics it is too large. Any suggestions? I was thinking about building a CVS server but I don't know how long I will be working at this company and I won't have access to their T-1. Thanks cb
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
Advertisement
Invest in a portable hard disk drive and store your work on that (work directly from it)- just make sure that you back it up every now and again in case you drop it.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

run a cvs server on your home machine (which I assume has broadband and is always on).
that was me
I strongly suggest in using some kind of cvs software, if you don't get to work on the same company anymore just copy the files and create the server at home.
I think you should also take a look at subversion, is a software similar to cvs
Well, my home machine does have broadband but I don't open it to the world...I guess I could open some ports in my firewall for a CVS but the problem is that it's a family computer and you never know what the kids are doing. :-/

I do like the idea of a portable harddrive. I do have a 64mb thumb drive that I usually use to copy the files to. But with a harddrive, I could just work directly off of it...

The only problem with that is that I have USB 1.0 on all machines....I could upgrade my home computer with a USB 2 card but load times would be slow on the other computers...

Thanks guys
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
You also could just put it up on sourceforge and let them take care of all the CVS issues for you. Then you can (usually) access it from anywhere at any time.
Either run a dedicated SVN server (subversion.tigris.org) from home... It could be a cheap PII 300 you bought for $40 with no monitor on it, and it would do fine...

Or use a portable hard drive as suggested. USB 1.0 is not that slow actually, it should be bearable. You can always copy the files to your drive before working on the content, or you could simply keep only the source on your mobile drive, and configure your workspace to output the temporary and output files on the same folder on your C drive on all computers. That way, compilation would still be fast, as the source code can be read fast, but the disk writes would occur on your local hard drive.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
if you dont have a network accesable computer on all the time try this:

run a cvs or cvs server on your laptop ... then, when you get home, or to work, plug it into the network ...

so all edits at work home, or on the road are saved onto the laptop as you check them in ... and revision history, tagging, and branching would also be supported if needed.

good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement