Easy to learn 2D graphics package

Started by
6 comments, last by Roof Top Pew Wee 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I was going to make a physics demo as part of a school project, I know a fair amount of Direct3D 9.0 but I haven't learned any 2D programming. I was going to prototype it in 2D and eventually move it to 3D. I messed with the Windows GDI some but it doesn't really seem to be the best thing to use. What do you suggest I learn, my only requirement is that it doesn't have a big learning curve. Thanks!
Advertisement
Try GCL, it's almost as easy as mode13h, and gives you keyboard i/o and a console in GUI.

GCL uses GDI but give you quite fast results. I get 30 fps on a 640x480 screen on a PII.It's easy to setup and then you can start drawing.

Try it out

[Edited by - FireNet on September 3, 2004 9:25:33 AM]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
The S in SDL stands for "Simple" so you might want to have a look. It really easy to use and many people on these boards use it so you won't have much of a problem getting help if you need it.
[totally], very easy if you use VC++.I wish I had a commercial version of VC++. I have had a hard time setting it up with Borland.

I suggested GCL since you have "messed with the Windows GDI some" so you might be more fimiliar with it.GCL is a project of mine, to write a wrapper for GDI and provide a buffer like mode13h for drawing onto.You did want a very small learning curve.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
If you know a fair amount of Direct 3D then just use direct 3D. Setup an orthographic projection, and use 2 triangles to draw a quad for each sprite. You can probably fit all your images into one texture and just adjust the texture coordinates accordingly.
Allegro is definitely the easiest to use and the best thing is that it works just as easily on macosx or linux too!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
SDL. It's easy to learn
>cough< see sig >cough cough<
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
I have a 2D engine I've built on DX and C#. If you're looking to use C#, it may be of interest. It comes with a template to set everything up for you, so the first line you write can put sprites on the screen. Has collision as well, so you could definitely play around and do physics stuff. I just wrote a game with bouncing balls with it :)

If you're interested, EMail me at VChelaru@hotmail.com, or IM me on AIM : Screen name's ArmySarj.

--Vic--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement