easy way out?

Started by
10 comments, last by corrington_j 19 years, 7 months ago
ok i dont know what i should do. it all seems very tedious to try and tackle writing all this stuff with my own function and so im thinking of getting an engine and then modifying that so that i can get going right now im in kind of a rut writing a little bit posting an error, getting reply ect. (put that in a loop if you like) any way would this be the easy way out i am willing to tuf it out im just wondering if the reward would out-way the amount of time and enery in would take thanks
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
No; certainly not.
Write your own engine you lazy bugger [grin]
Only joking; seriously, you will probably get further more quickly by just modifying an existing engine, but where's the fun in that?
What are you trying to write, by the way? Maybe you should start something a little simpler, then add to it until you get to the point you want to be at, not just jump straight in...

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

i know ive had that additude for a while it just seems like everything i code doesnt work out and its realy starting to tick me off!
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
i mean like i tryed to code pong in windows and when it run it just showed up as a black square its that kind of stuff (were i work hard then get no results) thats realy getting on my nerves
If your code doesn't work then take the time to go through it and make sure you understand why it's not working. You will gain much more by understanding what's going wrong than just giving up and using something else in it's place.
Uh, I hate to break this to you, but if you can't code pong you don't stand a chance in hell of modifying an existing engine and getting it to work the way you want. Most engines are fairly complex beasts.

There is no easy way out; if you want to make games you have to learn to program.
alright alright i think i might just need a new book. i understand everything thats going on when i read a program but i cant seem to right very well.
You don't need to work hard and get no results. A good approach is to test your code as soon as you get a part of it done. Nobody expects you to code the entire game without compiling even once (and I doubt anyone on this planet would be able to for any but the simplest games).

Subdivide your project into smaller projects, for instance rendering a pong paddle, moving a pong paddle, rendering a ball, moving a ball, making the ball bounce, displaying wins/losses.

Besides, always start with something that can be seen. You need to have your objects on the screen before you make them move or interact. That way, you know the bug is in the movement or interaction code, and not in the rendering part.
Heh, I've been programming for 10 years give or take. If anything I write that's more than ~25 lines compiles and works properly the first try, it's cause for celebration.

Figuring out the errors on your own, and debugging in general is [arguably] the majority of programming work. Get used to it.
You're trying to hard to make miracles happen.

Looking back on things, I would start by taking things easy.

"HelloWorld" easy!

By learning little-by-little, you'll always get better. Save the "first game" stuff for another time. Pong can wait!

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement