Game Clothing

Started by
5 comments, last by Drilian 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi Can someone give me ideas, or links to tutorials about in-game clothing system? I'm creating a mmo game, in which I'd like players to be able to customize their looks (like in UO, or Sims). I did some search on net, but all I could find was "go to this site, they have great links to another sites" I did, and the story repeated. And again. And so on ad nauseam. Can somebody help me and give me a straight link to some tutorial on clothing? Thanks in advance
If only noobs were boobs... the world would be a better place.
Advertisement
Hello !

You may google for verlet and cloth. This will give you some links. This one gives some code. This one is speaking of the verlet system which was used in "hitman : Codename 47".

Verlet integrators are simple to code, and can easily be used for cloth simulation.

HTH,
If you just want to provide the player to change the looks can't you just create models/textures and let the player switch between them? or if you want to simulate cloth, check out these links: http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_cloth.htm
www.gamasutra.com/20011005/oliveira_01.htm
naah, I don't really need physics' controlled clothes. I meant something that just could be changed every time i wear something new, like in Diablo. Do I have to model all the costume combinations? This is very inconvenient, as I'd like to have many hat/backpack/blouse/tshirt/shoes/etc combinations.

ideas?
If only noobs were boobs... the world would be a better place.
you'd have to model each shirt for each body type. Then each set of pants. etc. Basically, model each type of clothing for each body type.

You'd probably also have to animate the clothing, too, to stick to the model in its various animations.

Once you've gotten that done, take the clothing item, draw it around the base (naked) character model, and make sure they're on the same frame of animation at any point in time.
What about separating different parts of avatar's body and then change textures or even whole model of that part (eg. body, legs...)
That would work, as well. And may be generally more efficient than the thing that I just said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement