Sign in to follow this  
ThatIsToSayThat

My file-copy program appends a NULL character for each newline

Hey there, I made this simple C++ program which was supposed to copy text files one character at a time. When I copy a single-line file, it works as expected. But when I copy a file that does contain newlines, a NULL character is appended to the end of the file for each newline that was present in the original file. The characters are visible as little squares. For example, source.txt ---------- This is line 1. This is line 2. This is line 3. copied.txt ---------- This is line 1. This is line 2. This is line 3.[NULL][NULL] The relevant code is in the function copyFile():
#include <fstream>

void copyFile(const char *source, const char *destination)
{
	// read source file
	std::ifstream inStream(source, std::ios::in | std::ios::nocreate);
	inStream.seekg(0, std::ios::end);
	long length = inStream.tellg();
	inStream.seekg(0, std::ios::beg);
	char *buffer = new char[length];
	char *currentCharacter = buffer;
	for (int i = 0; i < length; i++, currentCharacter++)
	{
		inStream.read(currentCharacter, sizeof(char));
	}
	inStream.close();

// write destination file
	std::ofstream outStream(destination, std::ios::out | std::ios::noreplace);
	outStream.write(buffer, sizeof(char) * length);
	outStream.close();

delete [] buffer;
}

At first I thought this might have to do with the way newlines are represented in text files vs. in C++, but after messing around with it a bit I'm not so sure. What's causing the problem? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by ThatIsToSayThat
At first I thought this might have to do with the way newlines are represented in text files vs. in C++, but after messing around with it a bit I'm not so sure. What's causing the problem?

My first thought too, try reading/writing the files in binary mode instead. Adding ios::binary should do the trick?

Quote:
Original post by Leffe
Quote:
Original post by ThatIsToSayThat
At first I thought this might have to do with the way newlines are represented in text files vs. in C++, but after messing around with it a bit I'm not so sure. What's causing the problem?

My first thought too, try reading/writing the files in binary mode instead. Adding ios::binary should do the trick?

Agh, you got it. I guess it makes sense that if I'm using lower-level functions like read() and write() rather than operator<< and operator>>, I should use binary mode for the file streams instead of plain ASCII mode. Thanks for helping.