Dual boot Debian

Started by
0 comments, last by C-Junkie 19 years, 7 months ago
I've divided this question into two versions, feel free to just read one of the two if you want to save time. [grin] [rambling version] Although I'm primarily a windows user, I've also spent time trying out various distributions of Linux by setting the two operating systems on different partitions. I've already given Redhat 9 a shot, as well as Mandrake 10, and now I want to give Debian a shot, using a net install disk. Now, as I say, I dual boot with windows XP, and I'd very much appreciate being able to rest assured I'm not going to be screwing up windows, or my ability to boot into it, in the process of installing Debian. I've run the net installer from a boot disk up to the point where I need to configure partitions. Unfortunately, this part is decidedly less obvious than the redhat or mandrake install, so I figured I'd best ask here before I get myself into trouble. Has anyone else done anything similar to this? Is there any particular setup I need that will insure Debian doesn't do anything to the windows partition? Right now I basically see four partitions: the windows partition, and the partitions Mandrake uses for swap, root, and home. Can I just install Debian with this setup as is? In the first step, at least, I can't seem to find any way to mark what partitions are for what, and that's why I haven't gone any further than this... I don't want Debian to start writing in my windows partition. [really brief version] Sorry for rambling... I suppose in brief my question is this: What do I need to do, particularly in regards to partitioning and booting, to be absolutely sure that Debian is installing itself correctly, but not interfering with my use of Windows on another partition?
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
Advertisement
Just never tell it to do anything to that partition.

When it asks what to partition, do nothing since you already have mandrake that you're overwriting. When it asks to format, carefully avoid ever pressing enter on that windows partition.

(at least, that's how I think I remeber debian's install going.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement