DirectX madness

Started by
7 comments, last by Roof Top Pew Wee 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm trying to get into DirectX with C++ and can't find any good documentation on it. I want to use it with either Visual C++.net(from Visual Studio.net) or bloodshed's Dev C++. All the tutorials are Visual C++ 6 specific.
Advertisement
The SDK is well documented. Furthermore, there are some "Getting Started" tutorials which can be very helpful. However, if those don't fit your taste, you should check out www.drunkenhyena.com . He's got some pretty good tutorials. Helped me, and a lot of other people out.

--Vic--
the documentation for C++ on it is pretty poor and only works with Visual C++ 6 (at least iot doesn't work with mine). I'm really confused.
If the code was written for Visual Studio 6.0, it will still work for Visual Studio.net. If you're going to be using DirectX, I would recommend using Visual Studio as your compiler. Do you know C++? Unless you know the language, don't start at trying to learn it along with DirectX, that's just too much to take in. First go learn C++ in itself. A good place for that is this> click me.

Once you have a good grasp on C++, you can learn how to use DirectX here> click me.
well it has files for Visual C++ 6 and Visual Basic.net but for some reason, not even the visual basic stuff is working.
Okay, let's say I'm a complete newb who wants to make DirectX games. What compilers and SDks and what not do I need? I tried downloading Borland C++, but there was no compiler just a bunch of libraries and headers.
This is the advice I would give to a newbie (assuming he wants to go the MS rout).

First, get a C++ compiler. Doesn't matter what yet. Just something that works. And learn C++ pretty well. The best way to learn, I think, is to make really basic games. It teaches you concepts that you will use down the road, as well as keeps you interested in what you're doing. A text based game, although not that exciting, is more exciting than writing a program that lets you put in your age, name, and spits out "Hello < name > you are < age > years old." Haha.

Learn C++ (again, if that's the language you want to use), and feel comfortable with it. Learn arrays well. Learn pointers well. Learn to do things with arrays well, like sorting. Practice using multiple classes, and separating your code into pieces.

Finally, when you get to this point, and you feel comfortable with C++, move on to the graphical API (Direct X).

There are some pretty inexpensive books on the subject, although I'm not big on books. If you are doing DirectX, I HIGHLY recommend using a MS compiler. MS made em both, so they work well together. Simple as that. And most DX tutorials will assume you are using an MS compiler.

Also, this can be VERY important: Find someone who has done what you are trying to do, or at least is knowledgable in the subject. I have had "mentors" that have helped me along the way in learning C++, C#, and some DX. It's very valuable to have someone who can help. Just make sure you're not bugging the person too much. This "mentor" may have things he or she is doing as well, so you must respect their time.

These are just suggestions. . . the way that I went when I learned to make games.

--Vic--
Okay, this is good because I have Visual Studio.Net. So now I need a mentor. Anyone up for it? I've made a couple of little "Enter your name games" in c++ already.
Since I've been active in this thread, if you need someone to chat with about programming, get AOL Instant Messenger (www.aim.com) if you don't already have it. Install it, and send me an instant message. My screen name is ArmySarj.

--Vic--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement