Journey through developing a game

Started by
3 comments, last by Unwise owl 19 years, 7 months ago
I think the steps are... 1. Document drafting(engine, story...) 2. Coding the engine 3. Coding the Level Maker?? 5. Debugging... 6. DONE!! I don't have any experience with that, so just is my thinking. What is your opinion?
Advertisement
Well, all those steps kind of melded into one, yeah. At least some form of planning has to come first. Then the engine (being debugged as it goes) usually gets coded at the same time as some kind of level editor, otherwise how would you test each new feature of your game if you have no levels to test it on?
-Greg
Remember a game needs art. And depending on the game, art might take more time than all the other steps combined.
As well as coding the engine you will need all the game specific code too.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
I believe you will also have trouble coding the level editor as the last thing you do. Of course it will depend on the game, but it is impossible to forsee how a game will perform in real time without the final game levels loaded. I'd imagine that the coding of the level editor and engine go hand in hand, since the level editor can reuse a lot of source code from the engine in many cases.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement