Sign in to follow this  
SSJCORY

[web] NO IDEA HOW TO USE PHP AND MYSQL

Well I signed up for webhosting with phpmyadmin i created a mysql database called ssjcory_database. What do i do now? It says something about a table and fields and something anyone know anything about this stuff?

Yes and it is extremely confussing to find good info so far tho i figured out how to set up the table. I have a table 2 char fields of 20 each and the first field is name second is pass. What do i do to do something tho? I'm confussed.
The reason they are so difficult to understand is they are done with the mysql / php installed on the persons computer. But I am using a webhost with php and mysql. It has these things that make the code for you but i cant figure them out :-/

first thing you should do is figure out if you are using php version 4.2 or later and if so if register_globals is off.
It will save you a lot of rewriting of code since I've noticed a lot of older books and tutorials assumes register_globals is on!

Install apache, PHP and MySQL on your own computer, then you can play around with it easier.

Then find a tutorial on PHP, and see if you can figure it out.

Lots of people here can help you, but you'll have to be a lot more specific about what you need.

You haven't told us what you're trying to do, only that you dont know how to use SQL.

Quote:
Original post by Spoonster
Install apache, PHP and MySQL on your own computer, then you can play around with it easier.

Then find a tutorial on PHP, and see if you can figure it out.

Lots of people here can help you, but you'll have to be a lot more specific about what you need.

You haven't told us what you're trying to do, only that you dont know how to use SQL.

I had apache installed before but i dont remember the little kit that i downloaded with all of it easy to set up. It was one program darn i cant remember anyone else know?

Ok i downloaded xitami. I cant figure out what download it is for php. I was on php.net. Do i want the binaries or the other one can soemone link the download i conffussed :-/

Quote:
Original post by SSJCORY
Ok i downloaded xitami. I cant figure out what download it is for php. I was on php.net. Do i want the binaries or the other one can soemone link the download i conffussed :-/

Yes, you want the binaries.
Setting up PHP is a bit of a bitch, you have to edit text files and config files and the like. Crap way to distribute, I know [sad] but once up and running it's easy enough. There is a .TXT file in the binary release detailing how to install/configure it.
I've only used PHP with Apache2 though.