Sign in to follow this  
xenogaska

3d engine?

K sorry uhh i allready asked this in my other post how to make a game engine (as in if there were any good tutorials) and sorry for this double post (if u ppl hate it then i promise i wont do it again) but im 13 yr.s old and have done programing for 1 yr. now and like python (im just begining it though) so does any1 have any hints or tutorials or help to give me?

First allow me to encourage you to continure on your path. I wish I had started programming when I was 12. If you continue to work hard at it, you'll rock before you're even out of highschool.
If you're serious about learning how to program games, you should probably learn C and C++. Knowing Python is a good thing to have in your pocket, but C and C++ are very important. But if you'd really just rather stick to Python, then you might try and get a hold of this book: "Game Programming with Python".

However, should you be willing to forge into the brave direction of C and C++, I would suggest checking out the section on this site that contains books for beginners: click here. Try reading one of the books on C++. You can also learn about C++ at this website: click here.

All that should hold you for a while. Once you understand the basic concepts of C++ and game-building, you can use DirectX or OpenGL to help you create a game. I personally use DirectX, and would recommend this site: www.32bits.co.uk

Thank you for the information i havent chosen c++ cause it seems allitle hard right now...but i think i can give it a shot...but does any1 else have any ifo.? i would be glad to get as much help as possible.

I'd say that programming a 3D engine is just a bit over your head right now, but you show the initiative you'll need later, that's for sure!

I'll have to agree with the other guys, C or one of its derivates (C++ or C#) would be the way to go if you're doing games programming. Good luck on your chosen path! I didn't start programming until I was 20, so you're already well ahead of me

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense...so wat do most ppl think is the most comfortable c++ compiler (free one)

Google for Dev-C++

btw. I'm 16 and have been programming since I was 12. I started with Visual Basic and then turned to C++, it really isn't that hard if u already have some basic general programming knowledge. I'd recommend book Thinking in C++.

Hi!

I also started early with programming. I might have been nine or ten years old when I wrote my first BASIC programs, I don't really remember. I now know over a dozen programming languages. Once you understand what (imperative) programming really is, you'll have no problem learning the syntax of a new language. For game programming, you should learn C/C++. I wish I had switched to it earlier! ;)

cya,
Drag0n

Actually if you'd like to get something interesting working quickly, I'd suggest learning Java or C#, not C++. There are two reasons for this:

1) Both languages have automatic memory management, which means you don't have to work with pointers or allocate and delete memory on your own. In C++, it's very easy to create a memory leak by mistake, especially if you're new to the language, and once you have this problem it's very hard to locate what's causing it. You might have to scrap a whole project if you can't find the problem. Even worse, with other types of bugs you might get random crashes which are harder to track down.

2) Both Java and C# have very large standard libraries, which give you classes and functions for things like window creation, 2D graphics, sound, input/output, collections, etc, all tightly integrated and easy to use together. In C++, you often have to download a library for some specific thing and figure out how to link it into your project, and it can be difficult to use several libraries together (for example, there are 3-4 different types of strings). Furthermore, many C++ libraries that you find tutorials are pretty low-level. There's no reason why you should have to write 10 lines of code to open a window when all you're trying to do is to learn how to program.

As for which of these to choose, it's kind of hard to say. Java is older, and there are more tutorials, development tools and libraries for it. Many great tools are also free: search on Google for Eclipse or NetBeans IDE. Although it would probably be better to start with just Notepad and the command-line for compiling. C# is newer and less widely used, but it has a nicer syntax in places and a pretty good set of libraries from Microsoft; the main issue with it is that Visual C# is pretty expensive; however, you can try to look for a free C# development tool; one that I heard of is SharpDevelop.

Both languages are very similar to C++, so they'll help if you want to learn C++ later. The whole point of them though was to create a language that's better than C++.

For tutorials, click "For Beginners" or "Articles" on this site. If you use Java, there's also The Java Tutorial, which has very nice explanations of most game-related topics (Java basics, windows, 2D graphics, etc).