Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by Chimera33 19 years, 7 months ago
I just signed up here, hope that I can learn alot from this site. I'm thinking of majoring in game development. Right now I'm attending a cummunity college and I'm takeing C++ and Java most for my computer classes. Anyways I like games alot, I have been playing them for a long time (Off topic: Half life 2 is going to be awsome) anywas lol back on my subject. I dont know where to transfer to, I'm going to transfer half way through this year. I want to attend a college/university in IL so I was thinking of DePaul University because they just added a game development program and the program starts this year and because eveyone of my programming teachers has said that they have a very good computer programms there. But I'm not sure because DePaul has a pretty big price tag on it. Eirlyer today I saw that Westwood college had it but I'm not sure at their quality of a program that they have. For the most part I can programm pretty good for a beginner. I get like 100% on all my class programming projects, but lol I'm not like an expert programmer just have the basics down right now I guess lol. Anything else for game development I'v mostly tought myself through online tutorials (maping in UT2004 and I'v just started with 3d modeling in blender) anyways I guess my real question is do I have enough time because I'm 20 now and I know that I want to go into game development but feel like I'm kinda starting too late to do it. If anyone could reply to me with their thoughts and maybe segestions of colleges/universtiys that I could look at it would be much appreciated =) Thanks in advanced.
Advertisement
Get a general major like Computer Programming or Computer Science. In my opinion a game design degree or a major in game programming is a waste of time because you're pretty much screwed if you can't get a job in Game development.

Its very hard to get a job in game development and your not exactly guarunteed to get a job so its somewhat of a waste of time and money to focus just on game development.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
UAT is a good school to look at. You can get a regular 4-year degree, but also take a lot of game specific courses. I would check it out.
------------------------------------------------Please visit New World Video GamesPlease visit New World Video Game's Forums
i am a begginer too, and i develop games just for fun and sometimes excitement lol.
hey, would u tell me is there any lessons of Game Development in universities.
Hell, I didn't get serious about game development till I was nearly 40. It's never too late.

SumDude is correct. If you specialize and don't get the job, you don't have a good fall back plan. I'd recommend a traditional CS degree with as many game applicable classes as you can cram into it.
Ok guys thanks for the help/advice. Guess that I'll major in CS for now and just keep on reading the guides for modleing and stuff like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement