Sign in to follow this  
Link

How do you compile your c++ games?

Are you talking about the IDE or the actual compiler? I like the new visual studio IDE. As for the compiler, i'm no expert in the area. But it would seem strange to me if the compiler wasn't better with every passing version (or at least pretty much the same).

VC7 is pretty well standards complient - unlike VC6, which could not even compile some standard complient code. If you are really worried about standards, you should check out the GCC compiler.

Quote:
Original post by Onemind
VC7 is pretty well standards complient - unlike VC6, which could not even compile some standard complient code. If you are really worried about standards, you should check out the GCC compiler.

no actually the gcc isnt as standards complient as visual studio 2003. 2003 is 98% and I think gcc is a little worse.

I just use gcc.

eg, to compile the game I'm working on now:

g++ -Wall asteroids.c -o asteroids `sdl-config --libs --cflags`

Command line compilers take a little bit of getting used to but once you do they are great. Borlands free compiler is awesome to, imo.

- Stephen

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
no actually the gcc isnt as standards complient as visual studio 2003. 2003 is 98% and I think gcc is a little worse.

Which version of gcc?

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Original post by Ainokea

Which version of gcc?

The windows port. I dont know of the linux/unix versions however.

EDIT: unless I got my info wrong.

Intel makes a good compiler. It's not as cheap as the one you download from Microsoft though.

I had to laugh when I read this statement in an ACM article on game development the other day:

Quote:
Even so, Visual C++ is the best compiler we have on PCs—with no competitive alternatives—so we're just sort of along for the ride.

And this article was written before MS offered the free compiler, I believe.

Quote:

AFAIK The offical gcc is much more complient then VS. Do you have any documents proving otherwise? (Not from MS tho, they like to fudge those things up a bit to look better :)

I use to use the free Microsoft compiler on the command line. I didn't even use makefiles, it seemed kind of tedious to me.

Here is the URL for the person that asked: MS compiler 2003 [smile]

Now I use MinGW with the MinGW Developer Studio (IDE) and using an IDE is sooo nice. It saves a lot of time I think.

By the way, is there a free IDE out there that works with the Visual C++ Compiler yet?

There's a sourceforge document that ranks compilers, and gcc + vs were the only ones that had > 97% compliance. Neither was 100%, and, depending on how "important" you view given features, one could be better than the other.

Of course, the place where they're missing the compliance boat is irrelevant, for the most part, since it's in stuff that you probably will never use in your entire life.

I use Visual Studio .NET 2005. The VC.NET surpasses VC6 by light-years, it is also a much more advanced compiler than GCC. And now that Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Beta is free (with IDE and all) there's no reason not to use VS.NET (unless you use Macs or have some personal grudge against MS because they ate your baby or something).

How about not using the microsoft compiler, cause it will only run on one of the 2 computers you use to develop, because it wont install under windows 98, and the other machine is too old to install xp onto. although it could just be me, anyways i think i'm going to be installing debian on my laptop and then stick with MinGW on my desktop:) Either way, my laptop can run the latest and greatest Linux distro no problem, but it has issues with anything newer than windows 9x.

I love using MSVC, I used to use VC6, I've recently moved over to .NET and found after a while of fooling around that it's not so bad. Although I did like the manual feeling of control you had over your projects in VC6, .NET collages everything into an entire IDE.