• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ilankt

OpenGL Is using GLUT is ok?

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking of learning OpenGL, should I use GLUT? and just another quick question, what exactly is SDL?

Advertisement
GLUT's okay, but it's sort of outdated, and in some respects its functionality is fairly limited.

SDL serves much the same function as GLUT, in that it provides an OS-independent framework that supports OpenGL, but it additionally supports things like sound playing. Its control structure is also much looser than GLUT (which requires you to hand over full control of the main program loop). IMHO, SDL is better targeted towards games than GLUT is.

If you are planning on using GLUT then check out freeGLUT it is a bit more up to date. http://freeglut.sourceforge.net

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that you might find differences among different Glut implementations. SDL is the choice.

Quote:
Original post by Boder
You should check out GL Framework it's very nice and more recently updated.

wow, that's kind of nice!
do you know if I can make it work on Dev c++?
I cant get it compiled...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!