• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chadmv

No more DirectX?

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With that news post saying DirectX Graphics will be moved to Avalon with Longhorn, I was wondering if I am wasting my time learning DirectX Graphics? Will the API be the same or will it be something completely new?

Advertisement
You're not wasting your time :)

The name will be changed and things will be added but I've read some things about it and I don't think it will be really different.. They just seperate the graphics stuff from the other parts.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hope the next API is more scalable. The bad thing bout Dx9 is that you can't run old Directx programs, etc

Guest Anonymous Poster
What is wrong with all of you? Misinformation up the yin-yang. The next version of DirectX is called DirectX Next (IIRC). Avalon is the name of Longhorn's new GUI. It is hardware accelorated. Avalon != DirectX Graphics.

Quote:

The bad thing bout Dx9 is that you can't run old Directx programs

DirectX has been backwards compatable since almost it's creation.

Quote:
Avalon is the name of Longhorn's new GUI. It is hardware accelorated. Avalon != DirectX Graphics.

Avalon is the new presentation system. Indeed, it's not DirectX, but it's built on it. (i.e. no more silly GDI)

Quote:
Original post by Coder
Quote:
Avalon is the name of Longhorn's new GUI. It is hardware accelorated. Avalon != DirectX Graphics.

Avalon is the new presentation system. Indeed, it's not DirectX, but it's built on it. (i.e. no more silly GDI)

Well the GDI interface will need to exist for backwards-compatibility reasons, but of course underneath it will be using DirectX. I guess now it will be feasible to write games using BitBlt. :)

DX Graphics is a part of XNA. XNA is a platform for game development for the PC, XBox, and other MS-branded devices. MS is trying to get other console manufacturers to jump on board, but they don't seem eager to.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
DirectX has been backwards compatable since almost it's creation.

just try compiling a DX8 program with the DX9 SDK. Good Luck, lol. Now, take an old OpenGL program and see what happens. Gee, it compiles! That's a scalable API.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!