• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ontheheap

Compiling w/ gtkglext and gtk 2.4

This topic is 5427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, I just installed a new version of gtk (2.4) so I could use gtkglext (which requires 2.0+). Everything installed ok, which is a good start at least!

gtkglext comes with a makefile to compile the example code and it works fine. I am able to compile and run all of the examples fine, which tells me I have everything set up ok.

BUT, I cannot figure out how to manually compile. I made a small change (just press space on an empty line) in one of the example source files (button.c) so I could run make again and send the output to a file named my.test.

Here is the contents of that file:

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Downloads/GTK2/gtkglext-1.0.6/examples'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I../gdk -I../gtk -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0   -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED    -g -O2 -Wall -MT button.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/button.Tpo"   -c -o button.o `test -f 'button.c' || echo './'`button.c; then mv -f ".deps/button.Tpo" ".deps/button.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/button.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o button  button.o ../gdk/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.la ../gtk/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.la -lGLU -lGL  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXt  -lSM -lICE -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0   -lm 
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/button button.o -Wl,--export-dynamic  ../gdk/.libs/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib ../gtk/.libs/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so /root/Desktop/Downloads/GTK2/gtkglext-1.0.6/gdk/.libs/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lm
creating button
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Downloads/GTK2/gtkglext-1.0.6/examples'

Here is an image of that text. Might be easier to read!

I have been trying to figure out how this is compiling the sources but nothing I try seems to work!

And one more thing, gtk-config is still pointing my my old version and I'm not sure how to fix this. What I want to do is have two gtk-config files (one named gtk-config, and one named gtk-config.old), but I'm confused as to how to make the nescesary changes! Please please help!

- Stephen

edit: added source tags

edit 2: added jpeg of output

Advertisement
OK, Well here is how I am trying to compile:

gcc gears.c -o bleh `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0

Which gives me this error:

gears.c:18:23: gtk/gtkgl.h: No such file or directory
gears.c: In function `draw':
gears.c:174: error: `GdkGLContext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:174: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gears.c:174: error: for each function it appears in.)
gears.c:174: error: `glcontext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:175: error: `GdkGLDrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:175: error: `gldrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c: In function `reshape':
gears.c:237: error: `GdkGLContext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:237: error: `glcontext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:238: error: `GdkGLDrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:238: error: `gldrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c: In function `init':
gears.c:264: error: `GdkGLContext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:264: error: `glcontext' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:265: error: `GdkGLDrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:265: error: `gldrawable' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c: In function `main':
gears.c:434: error: `GdkGLConfig' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:434: error: `glconfig' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:468: error: `GDK_GL_MODE_RGB' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:469: error: `GDK_GL_MODE_DEPTH' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:470: error: `GDK_GL_MODE_DOUBLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
gears.c:519: error: `GDK_GL_RGBA_TYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)

So, I found out where gtkgl.h was hiding and add this to the compile options:

-I/usr/local/lib/gtkglext-1.0/include/

And now I get this oh-so-much-nicer printout:

/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x54): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `glShadeModel'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x71): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `glNormal3f'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x7e): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `glBegin'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0xd6): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `sin'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0xfb): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `cos'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x10d): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `glVertex3f'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x13a): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `sin'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x15f): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `cos'
/tmp/cc6qG1kh.o(.text+0x171): In function `gear':
: undefined reference to `glVertex3f'

etc etc etc...

I tried adding -lglut but it didnt help! I am extremely lost with how to get this work... I'm trying hard to figure it out and I really need help. I know whatever the makefile is doing is what I need to be doing, however the makefile is complex and I am having difficulty understanding exactly what is going on.

Here is a link to the makefile. Perhaps someone could at least help me make sense of it?

- Stephen

oh, and I would say *bump*, but there's never that many people on this forum!

meh... i've been playing around with this so much that i need to do a reinstall =( anyways, i found a post on linuxquestions.org with someone pointing out that it's fairly easy to read the source of gtkglext and implement by yourself.

double meh!

- Stephen

You should add -lGL -lGLU. I don't see you linking against the gtkglext also. Perhaps it comes with gtk libs automaticly.

gears.c:18:23: gtk/gtkgl.h: No such file or directory

It doesn't look like it's getting the header file it needs to compile.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I have all of those suggestions and I still couldn't get it to work. I just reinstalled slack (it needed it anyways, ive been playing around with everything). I'm going to try and make my own opengl extension for gtk+. I think I'll learn a lot by trying to do it this way instead.

- Stephen

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!