"Solved!"-Tag, Keyword system

Started by
2 comments, last by Shadowdancer 19 years, 7 months ago
I thought of a feature for a support forum some time ago, and I think that would be great to have here. A large part of threads are of a "How do I ...?" nature, so it would seem logical to me to give them a tag indicating whether the issue is solved. So, suppose someone posts the question "How do I draw a triangle with OpenGL?". After someone posts a link to the relevant NeHe tutorial, the OP could theoretically say kthxbye and the problem is solved. No further input is required. If the OP (or a moderator) could now set the thread as "solved". This could be shown on the thread summary with a little green status indicator, open questions could have a question mark on the side. The search function could then have a "show only solved issues" checkbox reducing the number of unanswered questions returned. In a second step, after a problem has been solved, the solution could be marked with relevant keywords (chosen from a static list), allowing for quick searches. This could reduce the number of trivial questions being asked If someone wrote a short summary of useful keywords for a given task, it could prove useful even for newbies that don't know the terminology yet (it took me some time to figure out that VBO was what I was looking for). Yes, the second part sounds awfully like the MS knowledge base, but if they did something right, that's it (and the MSDN online library of course).
Advertisement
You may want to look at this thread for the previous discussion on the topic.
Hell, it's been discussed long before that thread. I'd suggested that when the OP enters a reply, there'd be a checkbox onscreen that he can check to indicate the original problem was solved. My reasoning was that people always reply to state the problem was solved and thank the person, but they never edit their original post to change the title (can't blame them). A simple checkbox on the reply page, that appears only if they're the original poster, would be very simple.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Sorry about making a new thread about this, I didn't find the old one. (Oh, the irony! [smile])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement