• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adraeus

Disallow moderators from viewing those who rated them down

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Personally, I guess I wouldn't mind this limitation, but I don't think it's at all necessary. Obviously GameDev trusts moderators to use their powers for good, not for evil, or they wouldn't have them in the first place. And ratings are hardly the only way we can figure out when someone doesn't like us. Yet it's very, very rare to hear of moderators going after someone purely because they don't like them, or even treating them significantly more harshly. So it seems that moderators have, on the whole, already proven themselves to be above abuse of their powers.

Personally, I can't think of a single time I've rated down a user who's rated me down first. (It does happen the other way around, though, usually when the rating is accompanied by a thread closure.)

Advertisement
Nobody must be above the law.

¡Viva la revolución!

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Yet it's very, very rare to hear of moderators going after someone purely because they don't like them, or even treating them significantly more harshly. (Emphasis added.)
One of the first signs of a corrupt police system is the appearance of no signs at all. Moderators are people just like us who have the same emotions... and the same flaws.
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
So it seems that moderators have, on the whole, already proven themselves to be above abuse of their powers. (Emphasis added.)
Anyone notice how crudely chesty that sounds?

Of course, how would we verify compliance with GameDev regulations? We can trust Dave and Kevin, right? Right!? ;)

[Edited by - Adraeus on September 10, 2004 1:32:23 PM]

Quote:
One of the first signs of a corrupt police system is the appearance of no signs at all. Moderators are people just like us who have the same emotions... and the same flaws.
Not quite. We're apparently much less obsessed by ratings than you are. And less prone to personal attacks.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
We're apparently much less obsessed by ratings than you are. And less prone to personal attacks.

While this isn't necessarily true, moderators are, on the whole, more mature, trustworthy, sensible, etc. Occasionally they screw up or get into a fight or something...but they're also the ones that will back out and clean up before things get truly messed up. Moderators are chosen for a reason, and there are some very high profile members who've been passed over for moderatorships because of their lack of control or sensibility. They're given their position as a sign of supreme trust, and essentially all safeguards are removed. If you really, really have a problem with somebody, talk to another moderator or staff member about it, in private. These kinds of dealings have happened before. Moderators may be powerful, but if you think that they crossed the line, you are free to talk to someone about it.

This is about fairness to all GameDev.net forum participants. How trustworthy you think moderators are is irrelevant considering that trust is on the same psychological level as belief: axiomatic and fallible.

Do you trust the San Diego or Los Angeles police to use their weaponry rationally? Do you trust the current President of the United States to make safer his country? Before the Iraq-Iran war, would you have trusted President Saddam Hussein to not use chemical weapons against Iranian forces and Kurdish separatists? President Bill Clinton to not sell secrets to the Chinese? Hitler to not attack Britain?

It's better safe than sorry.

Remove the moderators' capabilities to see who rated them down. They should be able to view each other and truly "normal" members but not themselves. That's just an invite for exploitation. That's unfair and there is not a justifiable reason for moderators being able to see who rated themselves down. Maintain checks and balances.

[Edited by - Adraeus on September 10, 2004 4:55:39 PM]

That argument is a double edged sword. The staff has decided that the moderators are trustworthy. If that trust is violated, or if you feel it's violated, talk to a staff member, seriously. And if you have a personal disagreement with [you-know-who] then why don't you just PM him and talk to him?

Listen, there's a story I think you ought to hear, but I still don't feel like publicizing it, so I'm going to PM you.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
The staff has decided that the moderators are trustworthy.
The staff's decision-making abilities are not infallible and that has been admitted.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT TRUST! IT'S ABOUT FAIRNESS!

Quote:
Original post by Adraeus
You were the one to bring up the trust issue, by questioning moderators' honesty (regardless of whether that's a legitimate concern). You didn't even mention fairness until two posts ago.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by Adraeus
You were the one to bring up the trust issue, by questioning moderators' honesty (regardless of whether that's a legitimate concern). You didn't even mention fairness until two posts ago.
Check the first post of this thread. And please stop with the arrogant talk. You're not perfect and neither is any moderator. You can be dishonest. Others can be dishonest. You're humans just like me.

If you honestly believe that you're incapable of doing no wrong, perhaps you shouldn't be a moderator at all. A good moderator knows that he or she is capable of wrong.

A good moderator is capable of self-moderation. The "How dare you question our motives? We're perfect"-theme prevalent in your responses to this thread should not be so.

This issue has always been about fairness. It's about keeping honest people honest. It's about maintaining checks and balances.

Quote:

I suggest disallowing moderators from seeing who rated themselves down

I agree with this part.

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.