Sign in to follow this  

Painting to a picturebox

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

god i feel like such a noob -_- but i never learned real win32 programming just opengl...anyways im trying to make a perlin noise sample, but im sorta just learning how to program using dialogs as i go, ive figured out how to do button interaction and such, when i click the generate button, an array is filled with the perlin values (greyscale from 0-255), i have a picturebox that i want to paint the pixels to...but what functions might i go about using to do this? (perhaps bitblt, but how would i tell it to target the picturebox?)

If you want to plot just pixels, you're better of using SetPixelV. This function (and bitblt for that matter) needs a handle to the device context (hdc). It depends on the language, but if you're talking about a vb picturebox you can use its hDC property, otherwise you'll need GetDC (ReleaseDC).

no im using c++, vb picturebox painting is easy...

so would it look like this?

hDC = GetDC(hDlg);
SetPixelV(hDC, x, y, Color);

Is that all i need, or do i need to refresh the picturebox after i paint or anything? (i know in vb you can set the picturebox to auto-redraw, or refresh it, so what would i do in c++?)

Edit: i can get the DC to the window and paint to that, but how would i grab the DC of the picturebox?

[Edited by - SilverLogic on September 11, 2004 7:42:06 PM]

Yeah, if hDlg is the handle to the window that contains the picturebox, this should work:

// get handle to picture box window (using its id)
HWND hWndPic = PicGetDlgItem(hDlg, THE_PICTUREBOX_ID);
// get handle to device context picture box
HDC hDC = GetDC(hDlg);
// draw
SetPixelV(hDC, x, y, Color);
// release
ReleaseDC(hWndPic, hDC);

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.