Sign in to follow this  

3D Body Deformation

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there, I wonder where can i find information on Deformation on Human body such as 'when a shotgun shot at a person body at close range, of course we can see limbs or part of its body being torn off (something like zombie body physic)'...... so any idead? Thanks You in advance. :)

Don't try and simulate that, it would involve a hell of a lot of work, math and simulation time (ie it won't be of any useful to realtime applications such as games). The best option here really is to fudge it :)

Here's one approach off the top of my head. When modelling the zombies model the torso, head and limbs separately. Your normal healthy zombie will be walking around will be using the standard models drawn in the correct positions relative to eachother so the it looks like the one model. Each of these body parts can also have 'damaged' versions, such as the torso with a hole in it or the arm as just a bloody stump. When the zombie gets shot in a particular body part you do several things. First you replace the normal model with the damaged model. You then create 2 particle system, for the first use large giblets as the particles to create the effect of zombie chunks flying everywhere. The second particle system will be for the blood. Voila, fudged deformable zombies.

You can take this further by breaking the body up into smaller pieces or by making several different damaged models for each body part (eg. 2 damaged arm models, 1 torn off at the elbow, the other torn off at the shoulder).

Quote:
You know, an RTS where you battle hordes of messed up zombies would be kinda kewl....

Ah (; yes, sure... But I mean, you're not going to see many people come and say: "You know this game's not realistic, I mean when I shoot that shop owner last day it didn't feel the same way!"... Well, hopefully not many people (:

I think the first step is more, finding accurate material for what you want to reproduce (I've never seen that myself so far) if realism is your primary concern. And for that, rotten is just perfect.

Otherwise 'zombie body physic' is just human body physic with twisted joints. That's what makes the zombie interesting.

Quote:
Original post by pakloong82
Ya i need both formulas.... and some examples of it if can..... btw Thanks You all for the replies.....

Formulas for what? The tearing skin, muscles and blood vessels, breaking bones, etc? In this case go get 'Gray's Anatomy' and start reading so you have a good understanding of what your trying to simulate. Then, you'll want to start looking at techniques such as finite element analysis (and soft-body equivalents if FEA is only applicable to hard bodies) to distribute stress and strain through the body parts, determing breaking points in the muscle fibres, bones, etc.

Or are you after how to apply deformations to a model, such as cutting a hole in a model? In which case look up constructive solid geometry (CSG).

Or do you mean for physics simulation where the giblets go flying everywhere and bounce along the ground? For a starter on this check out Chris Hecker's articles.

You're still not being very clear about what it is you're after.

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.