Sign in to follow this  

Comprehensive 3DSMax-DX3D manual/tutorial needed

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I want a comprehensive manual about converting 3DStudio skinned mesh models to DX3D friendly format and using them in Dx3D. Tutorial for semi-beginners is required. Thank you.
evolutional - Forum tags don't work in topics...

That's no small order you're asking for. I don't know of any tutorials that cover that much information online.

I would recommend you read Advanced Animation with DirectX by Jim Adams, ISBN: 1-59200-037-1. You should be able to find it for about $25 anymore.

edit: If you're just looking for an exporter and not how to animate skinned meshes, just use the .X file exporter that comes with the DirectX SDK. Direct3d has all kinds of tools for working with .X files.

I know of no manual but if you use say the panda .x file exporter and then refer to the skinned mesh example with the SDK you may be able to work it out. Also look on the article by Phil Taylor on flipcode which breaks down the skinned mesh sample and describes it properly: here. Additionally there are further details on my site about .x files here: 3D Models

If all you want is to have animation in your application, then you could use DirectMesh instead. It's not a skinned file format, but it is very, very easy to use. You can import, render, and release a DirectMesh in about 5 lines of code, so learning curve shouldn't be an issue.

The SDK comes with full documentation, exporters, samples, and an exporter for 3ds Max.

OK, understood. I'll try to specify:

Almost no animation (only rotation from transformation matrix). Ability to reskin the model on the fly (textures separately from model if possible)

With sample code if possible.

And tutorial about animated skinned meshes would be welcome too.

[Edited by - Muxec on September 13, 2004 2:11:48 AM]

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.