Weird std::cout Error [resolved]

Started by
5 comments, last by v0dKA 19 years, 7 months ago
I have no idea what went wrong or how. I'm writing QuizzerApp - it reads a .txt file as a special "quiz file", which has different sorts of questions and their answers - basically, that .txt is a quiz. The problem comes in when I std::cout a question and its asnwer choices. For some reason, it works when I output a fill-in question to the screen, but not the multiple choice. In detail, the problem is with the endl's. Instead of ending a line, it spits out something hexadecimal. It also messes up previous calls to std::cout. There's about 10 statements I need to output. The first 5 belong to the fill-in group, which works fine alone. The second 5 have the weird error. Also, for some weird reason, instead of the statements getting outputted in order, as in {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}, something totally weird happens: {1,2,5,6,7,8,3,4,5,9,10}. And once again, I get junk instead of endl. Need I post my code, or does this problem sound familiar to someone? [Edited by - v0dKA on September 12, 2004 4:37:27 PM]
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Advertisement
post code, unless you're mixing printf and cout, which is a bad idea.
I don't mix printf and cout, although I may have mixed \n and endl...

EDIT: Never mind, I only used endl.

EDIT 2:

There's too much code to post, but here's a possible cause of the error. I do cout std::string's, but I use their c_str() method, as in:

std::cout << endl << SomeSTDstring.c_str();

But that would result in something hexadecimal, followed by the actual string. Weird, stupid error. Me no like.

EDIT 3: OK, here's the code which messes up all:
bool AskQuest(){	RandomizeChoices();	std::cout << endl;	std::cout << Question.c_str();	std::cout << endl			  << Choices[ ChoiceOrder[ 0 ] ].c_str() << "     "			  << Choices[ ChoiceOrder[ 1 ] ].c_str();	std::cout << endl		  << Choices[ ChoiceOrder[ 2 ] ].c_str()                << "     "		  << Choices[ ChoiceOrder[ 3 ] ].c_str();	std::cout << endl		  << "Answer: ";	cin >> guess;	if( AnsCompare() )		return true;	else		return false;}

I divided up the cout statements into multiple statements, in case that was the cause. All variables are declared.

Question, Why are you mixing std::cout calls with non std endl and cin?

without using the std namespace all of those should require std:: to prefix them. Yet your posted code doesn't. Which should give you an error at compile time.

soo umm ya.

Rigear
Quote:Original post by Rigear

Question, Why are you mixing std::cout calls with non std endl and cin?

without using the std namespace all of those should require std:: to prefix them. Yet your posted code doesn't. Which should give you an error at compile time.

soo umm ya.

Rigear

...Oh
Works now?
yes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement