• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ontheheap

Pre-Pre Alpha of a game which will never actually be...

This topic is 5060 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote this to help myself learn the windows gdi before I start on directx. It's got a lot of problems (which I will list below) and I'll probably fix them (eventually). I still think it's a pretty neat concept, if nothing else. This is actually my first win32 program, and I think I've learned a lot so far. Next step for me is to learn DirectX. Bugs I know about: 1. Collision between asteroids and ship is shaky at best 2. no double-buffering (sorry...) 3. logical error when figuring out point value. not exactly sure where in the code this problem is occuring, but you receive 0 points no matter what... Some things I realized after writing this: 1. It is EXTREMELY important to PLAN how a game will work, and what classes/structs/functions/etc/etc you will need BEFORE writing any code 2. Comments are important. I didn't comment my code, so in a week or too I'll probably have no clue what I was thinking when writing certain lines of code 3. See # 1 Next game I make I will plan the logic/code from beginning to end on a piece of paper probably using some sort of pseudocode. I know I still have A LOT to learn, but there is a lot more going on in this game than in the other two games I have written (ie, Blackjack eXtreme and Thunk). So...... Game Description ---------------- Space Junky is a cross between a space "shooter" and scrabble. You have to avoid the asteroids coming at you while at the same time collect letters to spell a word. The longer the word (up to 10 letters) and the higher point value of the letters (ala scrabble) the higher your score. You only get 1 ship, so if you hit an asteroid and you only need 1 letter to complete a word, you will probably get 0 points. The point system isn't working right now though. The code is there but I'm doing something wrong with it... Here it is... Space Junky Source - Stephen

Advertisement
It's unplayable, even on my P3 700. There's zero timing code or something, because the game goes at about a billion kilometres an hour.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!