Sign in to follow this  

Best way to iterate through a multimap

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the best way to iterate through a multimap with a given key? Here is my example. I have a multimap where the Key is a set of possible Events and the values are Callback functions that are registered to those events. When an event is fired, I'd like to retrieve a list of elements whose key matches the given event. I know I have get the first element with a given key, but I need all of them. Right now I do this. for(each element in multimap) { get ith element if(ith element has matching key) call the callback function } I am using std::multimap and MS Visual Studio 2003 (7.1 I think). Does multimap provide a function to accomplish this? or is there just a better way? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ignore my fallicy, Washu is right!

Actually, I've got some spare time to post why I originally recommended the OP's method. In short, it's legal [though not a good idea] to provide a BinaryPredicate that leaves a map or multimap unsorted [by key]. Sometimes, it's even madatory; occaisons may arise when f(x) != f(y) even when x = y. On these occaisons, equal_range won't work, and you're left with no option but to manually search.

[Edited by - Chris Hare on September 13, 2004 12:10:30 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Chris Hare
Actually, I've got some spare time to post why I originally recommended the OP's method. In short, it's legal [though not a good idea] to provide a BinaryPredicate that leaves a map or multimap unsorted [by key]. Sometimes, it's even madatory; occaisons may arise when f(x) != f(y) even when x = y. On these occaisons, equal_range won't work, and you're left with no option but to manually search.

Very bad idea. If you have a tree, and x = y, then f(x) should be f(y). Otherwise you have a serious problem, and the tree could end up malformed. This is a case where writing a specialized container is the correct approach. The STL isn't meant to solve every problem.
Quote:
meh

meh.

Quote:
Of course, but for occaisons when the structure of the tree is irrelevant, I've found it most convenient to use map and multimap in such a vein.

Malformed as in inserts will break, searches may fail, etc. The standard is very clear on the fact that if x = y, then !comp(x, y) == false && !comp(y, x) == false

In other words, breaking that rule can result in Bad Things™

Thanks Washu, equal_range works great. Now I iterate like this:
IFunctor* handler;
std::pair <EventMap::iterator, EventMap::iterator> it;
it = m_Callbacks.equal_range(Event.type);
EventMap::iterator end = it.second;
for(EventMap::iterator begin = it.first; begin != end; begin++)
{
handler = begin->second;
(*handler)(Event);
}

This works out much better epescially as I register more callbacks.

[Edited by - Washu on September 13, 2004 11:41:30 AM]

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.