Sign in to follow this  

Render to .avi

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I need to export/render my 3d scene to an avi file or similar, does anyone have any tips on that issue!? I've been browsing briefly through DirectShow docs, and it seems to be focused on capturing from hardware, e.g. cameras and tv tuners etc, rather than display buffers. Any ideas!? Thanx, hlnsi

Well my scene is not a 3D studio max scene.

What I want to export in an .avi file is the contents the entire screen buffer produced in my directx application. Much like I'd be creating an avi from a series of bitmaps, only I need to use the data from the display buffer.

Maybe it was misleading in my previous message to call it a 3D scene whereas it has already been projeted to A 2D buffer.

So I can imagine that this would involve saving the contents of the buffer to a surface and use that to write a avi stream or something like that.

My question is if anybody is familiar with facilities within directx (or other api) that can be used for this kind of thing.

Thanx for the reply though!

cheers, Hlnsi

This is actually a pretty tough thing to do. I have found that there are 2 legitimate methods that produce decent results:

(1) Use an application for it. FRAPS seems to be pretty good. It also records sound (IIRC).

(2) Save the back buffer to file every frame, then compile them into an AVI later. Of course, this will kill your framerate. You will need to run your engine on a timestep (ie ReadInputFromFile(), RenderScene(), OutputFrame()).

The main problem with (1) is that the programs suck framerate, and don't produce very good image quality. The problem with (2) is that you are going to have to make a utility to record and read input from a file, because the application will be unplayable.

There was actually a pretty good article on GameDev about screenshots and movies. You can find it here.

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.