• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do I build/implement a bitmask?

This topic is 4904 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I keep getting stuck, getting half inspired, then getting stuck and leaving it again. My aim is to basically create a swept-area collision detection routine, as shown here. I'd be checking the entire grey + blue + dark blue area against the tiles with dark brown in them. I don't know the general gist of doing bitmasking in the first place, and these questions come to mind: 1. Can I create and store a 1-bit bitmap? Because I only want each pixel to have a yes/no value. 2. Can I do this in Direct3D, or do I need some other library? So far I've got pretty things that move and spin, using D3D. 3. If the surface is built from those 1-bit tiles, how do I pluck out a specific tile and prepare it for bitmask testing? 4. Can I create a dynamic bitmask on the fly? For example, the grey rectangle, or one tile-bounded piece of the grey rectange. I don't know how much sense those questions make, but thanks for any replies.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Defend
1. Can I create and store a 1-bit bitmap? Because I only want each pixel to have a yes/no value.
Yes, there are monochrome bitmaps.

Quote:
3. If the surface is built from those 1-bit tiles, how do I pluck out a specific tile and prepare it for bitmask testing?
You can't really, but if you put the tile, you should be able to calculate where that tile is.

Quote:
4. Can I create a dynamic bitmask on the fly? For example, the grey rectangle, or one tile-bounded piece of the grey rectange.
I've never used DirectX, so I can't tell you, look at the converting function and see if they dither.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement