• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
horace3d

water - texture projection distortion near camera

This topic is 5054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i render a mirrored view to a texture and then project it onto the water surface to achieve a similar water effect like in far cry. the problem is that i always get very ugly distortions near the camera and don't know how to fix this. i found a thread on this forum where yann suggests to use an alpha border and blend with a cube map but i don't think far cry uses this method (this would be noticable). in far cry this problem simply doesn't seem to happen at all... any ideas how to solve this?

Advertisement
do you have a demo for it? Are both views (small/large) from the same engine?

If there is frustrum culling do you take into account the areas that need to be reflected on the water but not directly visible in the camera view?

yes, both views are from the same engine. the small view is the mirror view. i just displayed it to see what's going on. the water which is visible on it just is in the background cube map.

what does frustum culling have to do with this?

[Edited by - horace3d on September 14, 2004 4:22:44 AM]

sorry I understood no cube map was used and when you said that with near Z the reflection is distorted I thought it could been the areas not in camera view that do get reflected (on the water surface) not being calculated.

i think the reason is that the water mesh just isn't tesselated enough. the reflection texture gets interpolated in a very inapt way to the vertices which are outside of the view. maybe far cry uses adaptive tesselation and there is a very dense mesh near the camera?

I looked your avi but couldnt figured anything out. Maybe you right. With a plain mirror instead of the water mesh do you get the same results?

Though I cannot see it, I am sure that Pipo's thought is most likely the issue at play here, as I was having this same problem earlier.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!