Gamedev Market Saturated ?

Started by
10 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi all I am from South Africa, and I am mainly targeting those people who live and work in the US. I was just wanting to know the demand for Game Developers in the States. Is the market saturated ? Or is there a constant need for developers. Thanks so much. Any input or numbers would be great. Deux
Advertisement
There is a constant need for skilled and experienced developers. How great the demand is varies from location to location and also depends on what field of development you are actually refering to.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I was kinda vague, well I will most likely have to begin as a junior game developer, in exactly what nice(sp) field I am not sure. 3d game programming ?

Basically I am just wanting to know if the market in the US is saturated. Is it worth my while applying for a job in the US as a game developer if possible. ( if so, I will broaden my studies )

I am a proffesional C++ developer, but I am not a proffesional game developer. But if there is a huge demand for game developers, then my questions have been answered :)
What I've heard over and over from people in charge of hiring is that they are inundated with resumes but still tend to have difficulty finding people skilled and experienced enough to hire. It's an industry that sees a fairly high turnover rate.
Quote:Original post by Deux
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I was kinda vague, well I will most likely have to begin as a junior game developer, in exactly what nice(sp) field I am not sure. 3d game programming ?
Most US game companies wont go through the visa/work permit process for an overseas employee unless they have extensive industry experience. There are far too many entry/jnr applicants already resident in the US.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by DeuxI am a proffesional C++ developer, but I am not a proffesional game developer. But if there is a huge demand for game developers, then my questions have been answered :)

Then the next quextion is why do you want to change industries ? Salary is not the reason since the games programming pays less than database programming. Well, if you became technical director, then you`d earn really very much, but that`s like 8 or more yrs of experience in games industry in lead position (+many more requirements) and who knows how much would you earn if you were in similar position in database programming...

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

very good question, I love games programming :) I dont love db programming et al.

I dont mind being paid less ( in a perfect world ). However, I understand the argument, so then maybe I should just keep as a hobby ?
Quote:Original post by Obscure
Quote:Original post by Deux
Hi

Most US game companies wont go through the visa/work permit process for an overseas employee unless they have extensive industry experience. There are far too many entry/jnr applicants already resident in the US.

Thanks Dan, I think this has pretty much answered my overall question. I will stick to my daily job and career, as this seems to be the most realistic solution.
There are game companies all over the world. Why not start one in South Africa?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
There are game companies all over the world. Why not start one in South Africa?

That may be an option :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement