Sign in to follow this  

Vertex Tweening arbitrary models

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an understanding of the concept behind vertex shaders and how to use them to morph between two comparable models (such as the two dolphins in the DX SDK sample). However, what would be really neat is if I could use one to tween between any two models I feed to the shader. For example if I gave a cube and a dolphin to the shader, along with a tween factor, could the shader handle it? This presents some difficulties :) 1) How to map the vertices between the two models? 2) What if the number of vertices in model 1 != the number of vertices in model 2? Anyone have any suggestions? I could probably pull off the mapping in software if I had to (I think), but it'd be nice if I could do the entire operation on the GPU. Ron

I THINK as long as the both model have the same number of vertices it will be ok, they will be blended (almost) with no problem.

Be carefull on inversing the order of some triangle vertices. The best way to be sure that the blending will be OK is on making the deformantion from the same original mesh.

It is very hard to do blending between two diferent models. If you want do that, you will need to write code outside the shader and use dynamic models (to be ready to change the polycount at every frame).

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.