Sign in to follow this  

oversized textures with segments

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Suppose the graphics card supports a 2048x2048 texture and you load one in. What would performance be compared to drawing 1/16 of this texture (512x512) on a face to drawing a native 512x512 texture?

Most likey worse, Unless you where rendering multiple 1/16th sections that would of required multiple 512x512 textures to switch beween for rendering each object, as texture switchs can be very costly. The exact numbers you'll have to make a test application and try it on a few target cards.

I've been thinking about a sort of random terrain texturing where multiple slightly varying textures are in a single texture and a region (UV coords) would be randomly selected for each quad (or whatever) of the terrain. I think it would work especially well if storing alpha masks like this and using them randomly with a different overlay texture than the ground texture for some kind of splatting.

If a 2048x2048 was used I would have 16 512x512 regions to randomly pull from making for some highly varied terrain texture. I'll probably write a quick loop to make a high poly quad and compare the differences between the native and regional.

It's said that large textures don't work well with the cache though... :/

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by iosys
I've been thinking about a sort of random terrain texturing where multiple slightly varying textures are in a single texture and a region (UV coords) would be randomly selected for each quad (or whatever) of the terrain. I think it would work especially well if storing alpha masks like this and using them randomly with a different overlay texture than the ground texture for some kind of splatting.

If a 2048x2048 was used I would have 16 512x512 regions to randomly pull from making for some highly varied terrain texture. I'll probably write a quick loop to make a high poly quad and compare the differences between the native and regional.

It's said that large textures don't work well with the cache though... :/

^^^^ meaning there is some pixel cached schemes that cant keep large rows (ie 2k) for certain sampling operations.

Where did you here this??

I was considering using 2k x 2K textures for billboards (multiple images on one texture via UV ) to cut down on texture switching overhead. Hmm I will have to watch/test the performance for that.....

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.