Sign in to follow this  

Getting certain verticies from mesh

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, i looked around and found a sample on how to lock the mesh then get the data and it isnt working... The code is: D3DXVECTOR3 *pVertList; m_pMesh->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_READONLY | D3DLOCK_NOSYSLOCK, (LPVOID*)&pVertList); intersectO.v1 = pVertList[dwFace * 3]; intersectO.v2 = pVertList[dwFace * 3 + 1]; intersectO.v3 = pVertList[dwFace * 3 + 2]; m_pMesh->UnlockVertexBuffer(); and it returns that on this line: m_pMesh->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_READONLY | D3DLOCK_NOSYSLOCK, (LPVOID*)&pVertList); cannot convert parameter 2 from 'void ** ' to 'unsigned char ** ' so, i know there is a simple answer, but i just cant get it >.< anyone know how to go about this?

It's not the pointer cast that is causing trouble, it's the type of pointer. you'd need (unsigned char**)&pVerts.

But I dont know why it should do that, LockVertexBuffer expects a void** not an unsigned char** ...

Oops, I messed up there. Yeah, it expects a void**. Those damn LP keywords always mess me up.

Yeah, I don't see where the unsigned char part is even coming from.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Pirosan
well i tried (BYTE**)&pVertList) and it accepts it, though the program dies immediatly at startup... any ideas why this would be?

verify/validate the value of dwFace

Nahh, there's something wrong. What SDK version are you using? I can't remember if the old stuff accepted char pointers or not.

In any case, if you're using version 9c (as I am), then I would shut down your computer and buy a cross to wear around your neck. But before that, make sure you're using the correct includes and libraries for your version of DirectX.

Some older SDK's used BYTE (unsigned char) pointers. I'm thinking 8 did, I know 5 did...not much more than this I know. I agree with Jiia. I bet it's an include problem. Maybe you had a previous version of the SDK on your computer? Or you're using an old SDK and know it but looking at an example used with a newer SDK.

Chris

i am using 8, and i know that all my includes are 8 compatable... I got the code to lock/unlock the mesh data from a forum here in gamedev... maybe i shouldnt use a D3DXVECTOR3 pointer list?

Ill check the face validity, but im pretty sure its correct

Well, the error "cannot convert parameter 2 from 'void ** ' to 'unsigned char **" means that you tried to send a void pointer-pointer instead of what it wanted: an unsigned char**. So I expect that any other problems you have are unrelated. The way MS changes types in their SDK versions makes it very confusing in the forums.

They should have started with a void to begin with.

The example you looked at is probably using DX 9 if it's using a VOID**. Just use a BYTE**. It could be crashing for any number of reasons. Check out the debug output. Also verify the lock worked:

D3DXVECTOR3 *pVertList = NULL;
m_pMesh->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_READONLY | D3DLOCK_NOSYSLOCK, (LPVOID*)&pVertList);

if (pVertList)
{
intersectO.v1 = pVertList[dwFace * 3];
intersectO.v2 = pVertList[dwFace * 3 + 1];
intersectO.v3 = pVertList[dwFace * 3 + 2];

m_pMesh->UnlockVertexBuffer();
}
else
throw ("Not Locked");

Chris

uhhh wow that was an odd messup on my part. You see, i had a function that checked if it collided with each object in the scene, but it ONLY returns a face index IF it hits that object... it wasnt hitting one of my objects so it wasnt being given a face index... i was trying to access i think around the 32 millionth polygon, which basically didnt exist ^ ^

Thanks for your help you guys!

Chris

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.