Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Suggestions for good advanced C# books?

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright, I'm a newbie to C#, I admit it. A project at work though has to be created in C#, so I went to the local bookstores looking for a few reference books. Honestly though, it seems like all the books Barnes & Nobles and Borders carried were for people who had no programming experience. I don't want to wait till 3/4's of the book to discuss subjects such as what inheritence is, with half the book being on basic programming examples and the other half on XML. I'm trying to look for a book on the finer points of the language. IE: Like a book for C++ going over calling conventions or a windows book on WinMainCRTStartup. Just the tiny stuff that most authors of books seem to overlook thinking that the majority of programmers will never touch the stuff.

The best C# book ever: Programming C#, by Jesse Liberty (O'Reilly). It is great for both the seasonned programmer and the absolute n00b.

It starts out very basic in Part 1 (the first 300 pages). It covers the main features of the language including classes, inheritence,overloading, structs, interfaces, arrays/indexers/collections, strings, exception handling and delegates/events (taken straight for the table of contents.

Part 2 goes more in depth and begins teaching the .NET framework. Things covered include forms, ADO.NET, and Web forms/services.

The last part of the book deals with the CLR inluding assemblies and versioning, attributes/reflection, marshaling/remoting, threading, streams, and more .NET/COM stuff.

All in all, it is a very thourough guide to the language. It starts slow for the absolute beginner, but also is great for a compentant programmer in another language. It has comments throughout the book for programmers switching from various languages (C++, java, and VB6) on things that are similar or different from that language. I give it 5 of 5 stars [wink].

If you want the definative book on C# than you want "The C# Programming Language" by Anders Hejlsberg, Peter Golde, Scott Wiltamuth. Obviously these guys were/are in charge of C# and this book is basically the best on the actual C# language you will find.

For Windows Forms programming you won't find anything better than "Windows Forms Programming in C#" by none other than Chris Sells.

Applied Microsoft.NET Framework Programming is an amazing book that was recommended to me by Arild Fines, and it's now one of my favorite books.

For Design I also like the book "C# Design Patterns" and also this link is great, with information from Anders: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/homepageheadlines/hejlsberg/default.aspx

So far the best book on C# / Managed DirectX has been Tom Miller's book, and his others are actually due out soon too.

Also the "C# Unleashed" book by Joe Mayo is pretty good, it was the first one I read years back before Anders book was released. But if you want to really learn C# than Anders book is the best, and then suppliment it with others (ie C# Network Programming, Forms Programming, Design Patterns, etc)

EDIT: Also another great learning source are the Microsoft MCSD certification guides.

C# Windows Programming (70-316)

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.