Sign in to follow this  

Where do I go next?

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I dont visit the "Game Programming" forum much, but I need to know where I go next to complete my game programming journey. I bought and read C++ for dummies. So I have that down. Do I want to go out and get myself a DX book? Or what about OGL? Or is there another step inbetween DX/OGL and regular ol' C++?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I may be an idiot, but I would recommend buying something related to Object-Oriented C++ (if the last book didn't cover it/only briefly covered it). If you're sure you have a good grasp on the language, I would recommend taking a quick hiatus (sp) to read a few other Game Programming books -- but I recommend you stick to the biggies and read fast.

OR...you could move to OpenGL, which is so obviously superior to Bill Gates that it R0xorz0 Linus Torvald's brainzl0r (sp). <--I really don't have an opinion for which is better, but I prefer OpenGL personally.

Quote:
Original post by lethalhamster
One thing that may help you in helping me is I only want to start with 2D graphics for now.

Well that makes it dirt simple then: start learning SDL. It's cross-platform so we don't have to sit here and argue about DX vs OpenGL or Windows vs Everything Else. In the event that you want to pick up OpenGL in the future, SDL makes an expecially nice base for that.

Try starting here

Quote:
Original post by leiavoia
Quote:
Original post by lethalhamster
One thing that may help you in helping me is I only want to start with 2D graphics for now.

Well that makes it dirt simple then: start learning SDL. It's cross-platform so we don't have to sit here and argue about DX vs OpenGL or Windows vs Everything Else. In the event that you want to pick up OpenGL in the future, SDL makes an expecially nice base for that.

Try starting here

Do you have to learn any Win32 programming to make anything in SDL?

Its pertty easy to get a opengl window open, theres plenty of code to copy to do it.
DX sdk also comes with a framework for making it easy to do in d3d.
Id suggest trying out some of the graphics things you have learned, fool around, pratice other things you have learned, then learn some more.
Reading book after book is great, but without pratice you'll soon forget what you have learned. Reading about something, and then watching it appear on your screen, and testing out theorys and assumptions is a great way to reenforce what you learn.

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.