Beginning OpenGl Game Programming

Started by
4 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 7 months ago
Can anyone please tell me how much this replies on the Win32 api? I know it a little but I don't think I am confident enough to go through a whole book with it just yet. I constantly have to look for references. Does the author just use a wrapper close or does he continue to use the Api in every example? If not can someone please explain what he does use?
Advertisement
IIRC the only reliance on Win32 is for initial window creation. I believe the new edition may even have moved over to SDL.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Like Promit says, Win32 is only used for window creation. SDL is not used however. The Win32 stuff is in a simple wrapper class, which you can happily ignore if you want to. The book's focus is most definitely on OpenGL, not the Win32 API. I was the tech editor for this book BTW, so I should know [smile].

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Ok thank you for the replies. I believe I will be getting the book soon. I can't find it in Books-A-Million which is the only major bookstore in my small town. So I gotta get it off the internet.

Does the book teach math well or is it mainly understood? I haven't had trig in a while but I think I can remember easily.
Math isn't covered particularly, but there isn't much required either. Learning some basic matrix and vector arithmetic would probably be a good idea (if you don't know it already), but you'd be able follow the content without even that.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I have this book and think it's a decent explanation of OpenGL techniques (and extensions), however there is a definite lack in the actual game programming content (aside from the demo on disk). I'd still recommend it for people new to OpenGL (like I was when I bought it) but would say that prior experience in making games would be beneficial.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement