OOP...**P?

Started by
20 comments, last by Dmytry 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey, i was just wondering what other types of programming there are besides OOP. Object Oriented is what i have been brought up on, and i think if they have a name for that their should be more. Nothing important, just curious.
gib.son
Advertisement
The type of programming, i think it started with the creation of OOP, because everything before that was pretty much the same i guess, i don't recall it having a particular structure, there was good programming and bad programming, readable and unreadable, maintanable and unmaintanable, i don't recall specifications about structure.

But since OOP was created, i've heard some ppl refering to it's oposite, has funtional programming, and estructural programming.
"Follow the white rabbit."
There are functional languages, like Lisp and Scheme, where functions are basically variables, which can be changed at runtime.
Not giving is not stealing.
There are procedural(imperitive?) programming{C}, object oriented programming{C++}, functional programming{Haskel}, logical programming{Prolog}, aspect oriented programming{Any OOP Language also supports this probably}, and probably a few more. Also, I might have named some of them incorrectly. Example languages(meaning languages that encourage that paradigm) are in {}

Pure Functional Programming is very simmilar to math. Variables don't change value (you cant say X = 5 then say X = X + 1 for ex), and there are no side effects (functions can do nothing but return values based on calculations done to the function's parameters).

I can't say much about the rest really, and I could be wrong about functional programming.

For the record, Common Lisp is NOT a functional programming language. It supports every paradigm to an extreme degree.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Generic...

Actually, it's hard to classify languages into distinct paradigms.
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
For the record, Common Lisp is NOT a functional programming language. It supports every paradigm to an extreme degree.

I knew someone would say that, which is why I added "Scheme" to keep the dogs at bay. It din't work. [wink]
Not giving is not stealing.
Quote:Original post by thedevdan
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

I knew someone would say that, which is why I added "Scheme" to keep the dogs at bay. It din't work. [wink]

Funny, I was under the impression that Scheme dialects are by nature also classified as Lisp dialects (versions of the same type of language, ie. S-Expressions, Lists, Prefix notation, ...).

Personally I would advise that you learn about all of the types of programming paradigms learn the ones that you think will ever be useful and the use whatever best fits the task at hand (somewhat of a generic response eh?).

As for good code White Rabbit, I'm affraid that good Procedural code written in pre-C languages can still kick the ass of alot of code written in pure OO languages like Java!. It's all got to do with one's skill and perfectionist nature.

One thing to note is that some types of OO rely on another type of programming like OO's dependence on Imperitive or Functional (possibly even Declarative?, uh like Prolog).

Hope that helps somewhat.
Hmm...interesting.

Everyone is teaching OOP, so it is really hard to find other ways of learning this stuff. Im having a hard time seeing how you would program out of OOP, but then again i didnt see how OOP would work until i actually started doing it.

What about a straight run and gun language like HTML. It runs top to bottom, in order...what kind of programming is that?
gib.son
Quote:Original post by c-gibson-s
What about a straight run and gun language like HTML. It runs top to bottom, in order...what kind of programming is that?
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who considers that programming. Considering it doesn't really do any processing at all, and obviously isn't Turing-complete, it really can't be called a programming language. Formatting language, but not programming language.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
HTML is not a programming language, it is nothing more than a script language, unless you created a program that generates compiled HTML. Then maybe it could become a programming language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement