Sign in to follow this  

Wingrep?

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it just me, or has the Windows search function become totally useless on text files? It fails to find the simplest text phrases that I can see in plain view. I have to open the text file itself and perform the search. How stupid is that? It's totally mucked up. There are dozen or so Wingrep clones out there, so I was wondering if anyone had a particular favorite one for Windows XP that works well?

Thanks.
I guess the best kind of searching app would be one that added itself to the Explorer menu when
you right-click on a directory for searching. So it's convenient, and not trouble-some to
use when you want it right there and now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You are using Windows XP right?
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=5870&subsectionid=390
here you can download a patch

Quote:
Original post by davepermen
i'd like a hd googler :D
It's in development. Google wants to get it out before WinFS (and with WinFS being sliced from Longhorn, it's a lot more likely) and whatever Apple is calling their desktop search system in Tiger. Sometime next year, I'd imagine.

What's a HD Googler and why would it be better than grep?

I just need a Windows version of grep that doesn't follow a restrictive set of hidden rules
that I don't know about.

Quote:
Original post by raydog
What's a HD Googler and why would it be better than grep?

I just need a Windows version of grep that doesn't follow a restrictive set of hidden rules
that I don't know about.
Windows port of grep. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Google can search the entire internet - some 4 billion pages - in about half a second. Windows search - and grep - can take a couple of minutes to search the few thousand documents on an average hard drive. The idea is to apply full-text search algorithms (that have been known since the seventies) to the modern desktop.

The downside is that some sort of object store is needed, usually a database. This uses hard drive space. In an era where HD space is less than a dollar a gigabyte, burning a couple of gigs of a 400GB hard drive to speed up searches by a few orders of magnitude is a pretty good tradeoff. While 400GB may not be commonplace now, widespread deployment of this stuff as probably two years out, when 400GB will be pretty standard.

But won't a HD search engine cache data and text? To some people, something like that might seem
like a security risk, if you don't want multiple copies of your data floating around on your
computer. Or if you want to delete something and the HD search engine still retains a copy of it.

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.