Sign in to follow this  

Ok, I'm cool about the art thing, but what if I...

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

wanted to take a stab at programming? You know, just to see if I had some untapped talent or something. :p What would you recommend for a beginner in this field, other than the practice thingy? Would C++ be that hard to start off. How much CPU do you need to get started? I mean with graphics, it's the video card and the memory, so to do effective programming, would you need fast processing speed? I'm still reading as much as I can on both subjects, but I was hoping to get some direct insight as well. Thanks again.

Anyone will tell you, there are many languages you can start with. I personally started with C++. Some may say it's hard to learn as a first language, but it seemed fine to me.

As far as the CPU thing, what you'll be doing won't be any kind of major load on the CPU for a long long time. If anything, an ultra fast CPU would make you lazy by not punishing you for inefficient coding.

Edit: Look at it this way. When you create art, you use a program, and the better the hardware, the more effective you are with the program. With programming, you create the program, and one of your goals will be to get good performance on an average computer, and acceptable performance on below-average hardware.

Hey you two, thanks for the quick responses. Ok, just checked the properties on my fiances cpu and here are the basic specs:

-Intel Celron processor

-498 Mhz processor speed (yeah, it's an old machine...)

-96 Megs of RAM

Ok, so based on what you see here, if you had our PC, what would be your goals for performance? Oh yeah, one more question do you use a commercial compiler or a free one and does it matter? Thanks again.

I don't think C++ is too hard for a beginner. If you try it and it IS too difficult, maybe you could look at Visual Basic or something, but really if you set your sights low and work up, C++ is a very good choice.

Your specs will not be tested until doomsday. Alright, they'll not be stretched until you're working with sprites or 3D work. I am at a text-program level, on a similar machine, and everything I write runs at lightning pace.

As for compiling, use a free one for now if you're just dipping your toes. I prefer Bloodshed Dev-C++, but that's just a personal thing. {EDIT: sorry, PnP, don't know where Borland came from. Clicky.

[Edited by - Acapulco on September 14, 2004 8:57:38 AM]

I, myself, started with Qbasic on an old 486-25MHz. That's a very very easy language to get started on, especially for early text stuff. (not like I'm past that anyway. haha). I personally think it's easier than Visual Basic.. but that's just my opinion.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Shoutout33
How much CPU do you need to get started?

About 5 kg. ;)

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.