Sign in to follow this  

Trouble with writing png files with libpng

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a png implementation of an image interface in my engine, I have got loading, and very nearly saving to work. The save almost works, its just that its not writing the full color range it seems like. For example, if I had a gradient like this where each box is a pixel:
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10|
libpng writes this out instead:
| 10| 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10|
I'm not sure if it is exactly half way (127) that this happens with, but it is somewhere near there. I thought I may have figured it out when I discovered png_set_sBIT, but that didn't help. Here is the code I am currently using:
png_structp PngStruct = NULL;
png_infop PngInfo = NULL;
PngStruct = png_create_write_struct(PNG_LIBPNG_VER_STRING, NULL, NULL, NULL);
if(!PngStruct)
	return false;

PngInfo = png_create_info_struct(PngStruct);
if(!PngInfo)
{
	png_destroy_write_struct(&PngStruct, NULL);
	return false;
}

png_set_write_fn(PngStruct, &Arc, PngWrite, PngFlush);

png_color_8_struct SigBits;

switch(Format)
{
case ImgA8:
	png_set_IHDR(PngStruct, PngInfo, Width, Height, 8, PNG_COLOR_TYPE_GRAY, PNG_INTERLACE_NONE, PNG_COMPRESSION_TYPE_DEFAULT, PNG_FILTER_TYPE_DEFAULT);
	SigBits.gray = 8;
	png_set_sBIT(PngStruct, PngInfo, &SigBits);
	break;
case ImgA16:
	png_set_IHDR(PngStruct, PngInfo, Width, Height, 16, PNG_COLOR_TYPE_GRAY, PNG_INTERLACE_NONE, PNG_COMPRESSION_TYPE_DEFAULT, PNG_FILTER_TYPE_DEFAULT);
	SigBits.gray = 16;
	break;
case ImgR8G8B8:
	png_set_IHDR(PngStruct, PngInfo, Width, Height, 8, PNG_COLOR_TYPE_RGB, PNG_INTERLACE_NONE, PNG_COMPRESSION_TYPE_DEFAULT, PNG_FILTER_TYPE_DEFAULT);
	SigBits.red = 8;
	SigBits.green = 8;
	SigBits.blue = 8;
	break;
case ImgA8R8G8B8:
	png_set_IHDR(PngStruct, PngInfo, Width, Height, 8, PNG_COLOR_TYPE_RGB_ALPHA, PNG_INTERLACE_NONE, PNG_COMPRESSION_TYPE_DEFAULT, PNG_FILTER_TYPE_DEFAULT);
	SigBits.red = 8;
	SigBits.green = 8;
	SigBits.blue = 8;
	SigBits.alpha = 8;
	break;
default:
	png_destroy_write_struct(&PngStruct, &PngInfo);
	return false;
}

png_byte ** RowPtrs = new png_byte *[Height];

int Pitch = Width * GetBytesPerPixel();
for(int y = 0; y < Height; ++y)
	RowPtrs[y] = &m_ImageData[y * Pitch];

png_set_rows(PngStruct, PngInfo, RowPtrs);

png_write_png(PngStruct, PngInfo, g_PngTransforms, NULL); // g_PngTransforms = PNG_TRANSFORM_BGR | PNG_TRANSFORM_SWAP_ALPHA

png_destroy_write_struct(&PngStruct, &PngInfo);

delete [] RowPtrs;

return true;

I can be relatively sure that the image data is not the problem. I have a base image class, with a couple of different implementations, hopefully this will be one of them soon. Those other implementations don't have the problems that I am talking about when operating on the same data. Anyone that has any experience with libpng maybe hint at what is going on here? I am completely stumped, I've tried all the transformations that seem like they might affect this without any luck. Thanks for any help.

I solved it, something goofy was going on with the alpha. I turned off SWAP_ALPHA, and the image turned weird colors, the right combination of transforms for me was PNG_TRANSFORM_BGR | PNG_TRANSFORM_INVERT_ALPHA.

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.