• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Polydone

[java] Isometric engine - fps.

This topic is 5136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently working on a graphical mud in Java, with an isometric graphics engine. I used an old isometric engine I wrote for another game that performed badly. Now that I'm using Swing I get much higher framerate, since it's hardware accelerated - I don't think I'm even gonna bother messing with volatile images manually. At the moment I'm working on the map editor (The days of manually writing map text files and then compiling them into binary format are over :)) I would be happy if someone would try it out and report back what framerate they're getting, including the size of the isometric panel and their system specs. DownLoad

Advertisement
Exception in thread "main" java.io.FileNotFoundException: editor.prp (Nie mo┐na odnalečŠ okreťlonego pliku)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at mapeditor.Editor.main(Editor.java:66)

"Nie mo┐na odnalečŠ okreťlonego pliku" part means "file could not be found"

i got fps=22-30 and size=(671,550)
system : duron 800/ 256 mb/ radeon 8500/ win xp

when i pressed 'full' it escaped with following error:
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
at mapeditor.SideBar.actionPerformed(SideBar.java:47)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknow
n Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
ce)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

It runs perfectly on my system.
I get ~90-200 FPS (it's quite jumpy) in windowed mode, and 39-45 FPS in fullscreen mode (same framerate when maximizing the window as when "Full" is clicked).

But why, oh why, do you make your game in Java?! It's way too slow for decent game development. Well, that's my experince anyway.

Good luck with your game! :)

My system specifications:
Athlon XP 2500+ (really a ~1866MHz)
1024 MB Duel Ram
128 MB Radeon 9500

Windows XP Professional w/Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0b

EDIT: I should probably mention that I have "Java 2 SDK 1.4 Enterprise Edition" installed.

Thanks.
Yeah it's jumpy because when you press "fps" for the framerate test you basically turn off the timing. I suppose I'll have to get some work done experimenting with decoupling model update rate and framerate.

In the game the isometric panel will only be part of the user interface that'll also feature a chat and control panel. If I can get 60 fps in the finished game I don't see how it's "way too slow for decent game development" :)

Anyway, if I ever finish this game by then computers and graphics cards will be a lot faster than they are today *eg*.

I must say, I give Java a lot more credit now than I used to. I'm working on a highly complex GUI for a job related project and I was so impressed with the ease of UI development that I decided to build my 3D world designer / level editor in Java using JOGL. So far it is definantly been working out great!

Good job using Java. I think it should at least be an avenue worth exploring nowadays.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You might want to take a look at Mappy (and clones) - there are quite a few good isometric map editors already around for free, one of which might do everything you want already. This is a VERY common thing for people to do!

Re: java / speed, only morons who don't check facts and people who are too lazy to learn a new language properly before making an opinion believe it to be too slow for games. If you believe java is too slow, I suggest you shutup or troll elsewhere, because you only make yourself look stupid. If you want to start learning how to make java run fast, take a look at the games and tech on http://grexengine.com/sections/externalgames and the forums on http://javagaming.org.

kinda jumpy 70-80 in window and 40-50 in full screen? using Althon 1400 256 ram 64mb ati something can't remember now. But i a running quite a bi of junk in the back as well

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!