.TGA weirdness??

Started by
2 comments, last by Swatter555 19 years, 7 months ago
Man, I have had lots of problems this past week. Im ready to pull my hair out when the following happens. I load several 64x64 textures from PSP with LoadTextureFromFile. Upon starting the program it crashes. After tons of error checking and head scratching, I figured out the problem. The images are somehow getting corrupted. This happens on about 50% of the .tga files I load up. If I recreate the image enough times, it will eventually work... crazy stuff?!?!? Any idea what is going on here? Is this a LoadTextureFromFile problem, or something else?
Advertisement
Been there, went nuts, never have recovered.

Don't use the TGA format. Switch to PNG. It's not DirectX, it's PSP. It's actually the TGA file format in general. It seems that there are a variety of ways to save the file format, and no two programs do it the same way. So DirectX and other apps (like 3D Studio) follow Photoshop's TGA format, which does not match PSP's version.

Ack. Anyways... Like you, I have way too many problems of my own to be tortured with software glitches. Why can't these things just work? Damnit [disturbed]

The PNG format is very nice to work with in PSP. You don't have to save masks to an alpha channel. You just save the image and the mask is used accordingly.
Since I use my own loader I never had any problems, but you can try to save the images with IrfanView, they are at least smaller then.
Quote:Original post by Jiia
Been there, went nuts, never have recovered.

Don't use the TGA format. Switch to PNG. It's not DirectX, it's PSP. It's actually the TGA file format in general. It seems that there are a variety of ways to save the file format, and no two programs do it the same way. So DirectX and other apps (like 3D Studio) follow Photoshop's TGA format, which does not match PSP's version.

Ack. Anyways... Like you, I have way too many problems of my own to be tortured with software glitches. Why can't these things just work? Damnit [disturbed]

The PNG format is very nice to work with in PSP. You don't have to save masks to an alpha channel. You just save the image and the mask is used accordingly.

Thank you! Thank you!!! Ive been killing myself!!!! Ive been going total nuts the past 4 days!!

It is rough dealing with bugs not of my own creation ;)

Thanks for the info, you really made my week :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement