pretty new..so help

Started by
10 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 19 years, 7 months ago
right basically i know most of standard c++, i created dos programs and so on. basically my problem is this, i can just about make a window with windows, i'm learning openGl i currently have visual studio express 2005 beta, visual studio 2003 trial coming to me. DirectX 9 sdk, opengl lib. ..but when i start a program i find it soo hard, like how am i supposed to memorise every function and the help files are always irrelevant, surely there must be some reference as i know what im doing it just i can't apply the proper function i need as i dont know the function names!! also, if u cant compile a program as its got errors, how you supposed to debug it. and please o please dont give the link to the beginners section, numerous posts previously ended up with a link to it...but anyway cheers and i hope you can help me out :D
nufc forever ppl....
Advertisement
google for "NEHE". There are openGL tutorials there. Also the book "OpenGL Programming Guide" is free on the internet somewhere and is a good reference for OpenGL.
The errors will give you an error code which you can look up in the documentation. They will explain why it isn't possible to build the program.

C++ requires a syntactically correct program to be able to compile it. It also needs to be linked to the correct libraries. These are the kind of errors which mean you can't even begin to debug your program.

Debugging is to do with finding errors that you have made which are still valid C++ but mean the program doesn't behave correctly.

If you haven't written correct C++ you can't even begin debugging.
Hope that nufc means Newcastle United :P

When you get a compile error it will also (well at least in VC++) give you the line it is on so you know exactly what lines are giving errors, making it easier to debug.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:like how am i supposed to memorise every function

No one has memorized every function, even professionals.

Since you're using 2k5 Express Ed. now, the help file may be not too good, but 2k3 Studio has lots of nice help features, including a "dynamic help" section that has help on functions relating to your code. I have really enjoyed 2k3 over studio 6.0, and I also tried the express editions and they were not so good. Things will get better when your 2k3 arrives, I would definitely suggest purchasing the full version (at least C++.NET) if you can spare the money (I think C++.NET is only like $80 or something).
You don't actually need to memorise all the functions - just keep a good reference or two handy and refer to it as needed - gradually over time you'll remember more and more functions, although you'll likely always be looking up stuff as you begin to use new things which you have yet to remember.

- Jason Astle-Adams

ah cheers for your help, can you recommend any reference books or free stuff available on the net that would help us struggling beginners.

..yes nufc does stand for newcastle united aka: the best team in the world! :D
nufc forever ppl....
Quote:Original post by Daz_mk
can you recommend any reference books or free stuff available on the net that would help us struggling beginners.
For Microsoft technologies (Windows, Win32, .NET, DirectX, COM, ...), you can't beat MSDN.

Quote:..yes nufc does stand for newcastle united aka: the best team in the world! :D
Psssh! Glory, Glory, Man United! [smile]
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Daz_mk
..yes nufc does stand for newcastle united aka: the best team in the world! :D
Psssh! Glory, Glory, Man United! [smile]

"What's wrong with being number two?"
Quote:Original post by petewood
"What's wrong with being number two?"
It offends the sensibilities of the True (read: Rabid) Fan and the ethos of sport. I mean, have you ever seen a bunch of fans screaming "We're number 2!" on ESPN? 'Nuff said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement