Sign in to follow this  

Can nobody help????

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted a message bellow, just need to know if anyone knows of any good place to learn about Multiplayer and Network programming stuff, i am using VC++6, and OpenGL. Where do i get started... is there somewhere on the nehe site??? Thank you

DONT start a new thread to say that! It would have been better to post in the thread you started this is just spam!

Anyway have you checked out the articles on gamedev? and searched on google? I havent done any network programming myself so i dont know much about it but try searching for winsock which i think is what alot of people use to do networking.

oops sorry about the spam... new to this... didnt think anyone would see my message if i posted it under my other message, and thought i gave it a sh%$ title.

Thanks for your help, will search for winsock, but could not find anything on this site, or nehe... i did see somthing once, but dont know where i saw it (on nehe site).

If you like books, I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Programming Multiplayer Games", by Andrew Mulholland. It's a nice lightweight introduction to multiplayer network programming.

It covers basic TCP/IP networking, constructing a network library for use in a game, and how to construct some simple multiplayer games, including dealing with latency in games.

I also recommend the June 2001 issue of gdmag that has the article "Leveling the Playing Field: Implementing Lag Compensation to Improve the Online Multiplayer Experience"
by Yahn Bernier. This article has an excellent discussion on dealing with lag in FPS games. I didn't see an online copy of this. If I find one I'll post it here.

Another by Bernier is "Half-Life and Team Fortress Networking:
Closing the Loop on Scalable Network Gaming
Backend Services": http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000511/bernier_01.htm

This requires free registration at Gamasutra.

Brian Hook also posted a nice description of the Quake3 networking model at: http://www.bookofhook.com/Article/GameDevelopment/TheQuake3NetworkingModel.html

A nice class based multiplayer network system is the Torque Network Library, which is reasonably documented and can be found at: http://www.opentnl.org/ There is a nominal charge to use it commercially however.

Unless you want to dance in rings of fire, you are really going to want to design the multiplayer capabilities into your game from the beginning. The other sad truth, is a lot of the gotchas are only going to be learned after the experience of doing it.

Also Google

Also take a look at code examples.One good place for that would be Planet-Source-Code.com

Then for books there is Amazon.com

Also there's a Multiplayer & Networking tutorials section here at gamedev.

There are also some good libs/APIs to do underlying networking code for like jwthomp said.
Hawk Network Library
Plib (game library including networking support)

Also checkout thefreecountry.com.It contains lots of links related to various topics ,including game programming.

Don't be sad breenan. ;) Theres plenty of material for you on the wide web.

It's always good to learn the basics of socket programming (if you don't know them already) first. Personally I would like to recommend Beej's guide, the one that taught me about sockets once upon a time. I found it to be good (and funny):

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/html/

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.