Sign in to follow this  

Good Projects For College

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in my final year of college and i was wonder do any of ye have any good ideas for a final year project. I have being thinking for sometime now but i cant think of a good idea. Any feed back would be greatful. Thanks in advance Ructions

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Something in a specific area or something that broadly touches on a lot of different areas. If you want something complete, try writing a simple board game like Mankala in 3D, with an AI. That gives you design, 3D graphics, AI, user interface. You could add networking to it, as well, if you want to go even further.

How about coming up with a random invention generator? You can give it a vocabulary of suitable nouns and verbs and it can produce a description of some device. It could be pretty wacky and might come up with some ideas for you as a side effect.

I can suggest quite a few things:

1) I would suggest either a raytracer, which is quite simple, uses many concepts you already know, and can be made easily in java or C++ (You can actually write ~100% portable code for a raytracer in C++). The added bonus of a raytracer is that you can actually add some nice effects... And it produces a visible result, so it has somewhat of a "wow factor" of about 8/10. There are plenty of people who wrote those, and so it will be quite easy.

2) If you (or your teachers) think a raytracer is somewhat too basic, you could always go with a photon mapping renderer. This will use some concepts from raytracing, but will produce higher quality renders. The downside is that you will not be able to find that many people with knowledge of the subject, and you will most likely have to buy Henrik Van Jensen's book (the inventor of photon mapping) in order to gain a sufficient background.

3) You can program a VR simulation (a simple 2D-3D heightmap and obstacle world), which you render through OpenGL or D3D... And program some neural network AI that lives and interact with this world. Someone made a demo with virtual ants that was basically this. You could basically create some virtual insect "lifeforms" that feed and fight and reproduce in a simple virtual environment. This is original, and has a guanranteed wow factor of 10/10 (and guaranteed high grade too).

4) If you're into advanced 3D mathematics... You can take on the task of building your own physics engine. You could simulate either solid or soft bodies, or even simulate fluids (through particles)... And render this in real-time. You could create the classical box stack simulation, where you can fire a huge ball at the stack and watch them realistically fall. Wow factor 9/10. But be warned that this is *NOT TRIVIAL* at all.

5) You could also make an HTTP server, which you could setup on a laptop computer that you would hook in the school's network... And you could program your own scripting system into it... Or even support PHP or something. This is also not so hard.

6) Now, if you want something that is A) Not basic and B) More original than all those suggestions... You could program a simple virtual machine, that runs your own ASM-like language, and eventually a higher level language, like basic. This is something that not many people have done and requires somewhat more knowledge of the internal workings of computer systems.

7) If you're into more mathematical, or algorithmic stuff, you can also program your own file compressor, or design your own compressed image format, with your own conversion tools... Personally I don't find that too entertaining.

If you try yourself at ideas 1 to 4, and you succeed, you are guaranteed to stand out from the crowd, and show that you are a capable programmer. You also have the benefit of impressing the people, which will most often than not get you high grades. Most students will probably wonder how exactly you programmed that.

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.