Sign in to follow this  

Need suggestions for getting started

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i really need help, im a totally new programmer an di dont know any computer language. could somebody tell what is the MOST basic thing i could do first to get started [title changed - Tiff] [Edited by - Tiffany_Smith on September 15, 2004 11:22:02 AM]

In all honestly, i wouldn't start trying to make games until you're confident with the language. Granted, if you use a higher level language like VB6 (or .NET) like I do, you can start making cool stuff a whole lot sooner.

[/ad]

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...

Guest Anonymous Poster
hey, ok, what is the first language i should learn and how do i learn stuff like that,
thanks
the TOTAL beginner.

Python!

(Okay, seriously, any language works. Python is simply my recommendation. There, we got that out of the way.)

If you're going to go with Python, you'll want to read How to think like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python and spend quality time with the Beginner's Guide to Python. If you're a Windows user, I recommend the ActivePython distribution.

Once you're a little bit comfortable, pick up PyGame, read A Newbie Guide to Pygame and have fun!

I say go for Java. You'll learn important OOP concepts (which can later be applied to C++), and you'll be able to write code that _should_ work on any platform with a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) installed. It'll take a while before the "slowness" of Java will become a real problem for ya (same as me).

Check out this site for some examples of applet games.

Check out this one for some games that will run independently.

- heap

Just a few comments on Java:
- OOP is overrated;
- public static void main is incomprehensible to a beginner;
- Java introduces more complexity than is, strictly speaking, necessary; and
- Java is an interesting language, but an evolutionary dead-end

All that said, it's a very, very good language. It's not an ideal first language, but it's a decent enough choice. YMMV.

[Edit: Fixed link.]

[Edited by - Oluseyi on September 15, 2004 4:24:58 PM]

The link you posted doesn't seem to work. While I agree with the 'public static void main' argument, most beginner tutorials will walk you through the basics of what that line means, and then in later examples will explain what is really going on. Of course, this is only my opinion on the matter.

- heap

btw, I'm interesting in reading the content in the above posted link. I hope it's still available!

Alright you guys... I'll admit something to you. I'm an avid Java programmer. I just began programming Java3D and I must say this crappy language has finally touched my heart... sort of. I respect Java for it's amazing cross platform applications and it's ability to handle security, but the overall design of Java is bloated and illogical. There are too many times when i have to ask myself "why am i making this class again?" then the "Oh yeah... Java sucks".
Not to mention the attrocious load and execute times of Java.
However check out suns "Looking Glass" a complete revolution in desktop environments all coded in Java3d!!!
Just when you think it's dead, it keeps kicking you in the shin.
Besides in the business game, companies want you to know lots of languages and Java is on the rise. Did you know NASA used java to program it's mars rovers? Hmm then again, they didn't respond for a very long time... maybe it was the Exceptions....

Guest Anonymous Poster
Java is terrible for beginners, because it is a full-blown systems programming language, which is never easy for people who haven't got much grounding in the theory of programming already.

Quote:
Original post by clownie
illogical. There are too many times when i have to ask myself "why am i making this class again?" then the "Oh yeah... Java sucks".

99 times in 100 any programmer saying that really means:

"Oh yeah...I suck, but the crappy languages I've been using up until now allowed me to get away with sloppy crap code that was a nightmare for everyone else who ever had to work with it afterwards"

Mainstream languages like Java, C++, etc never really "suck" except in really precise ways, e.g. C++ buffer overflows REALLY suck. If you catch yourself thinking the language itself sucks in some major way you ought to correct yourself (be less lazy) or risk saying it in public and get your head bitten off by people because of your ambiguous statements, or....just learn how to use the language properly. IMHO. Shrug.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Just a few comments on Java:
- OOP is overrated;
- public static void main is incomprehensible to a beginner;
- Java introduces more complexity than is, strictly speaking, necessary; and
- Java is an interesting language, but an evolutionary dead-end

All that said, it's a very, very good language. It's not an ideal first language, but it's a decent enough choice. YMMV.

[Edit: Fixed link.]

PG is considered to be a bit of a loon, even within much of his beloved Hacker community. He scores big with fellow Lisp-fanboys, but gets a mixed reaction elsewhere. Sad to say in my experience his work generally only gets referenced (as above) by people with a knee-jerk reaction against **insert new technology here** but lack the understanding or intellect to critisise it themselves.

Lol, I think you're all gonna destroy his brain or something, just use basic or python or something, try not to get into something like java or c++ till you truly understand variables, arrays, functions, inputs, outputs and how the computing co-ordinates work (x and y stuff)

If your an absolute NOoob and you want to start building games immeidately, theres gamemaker

http://www.gamemaker.nl

and clickteam's stuff, but I've never used clickteam's stuff so I dont know the link to thier site...

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.