Need suggestions for getting started

Started by
16 comments, last by melkor_98 19 years, 7 months ago
hi, i really need help, im a totally new programmer an di dont know any computer language. could somebody tell what is the MOST basic thing i could do first to get started [title changed - Tiff] [Edited by - Tiffany_Smith on September 15, 2004 11:22:02 AM]
Advertisement
Play games. Understand the material you will create :)
Read that , sir.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]
In all honestly, i wouldn't start trying to make games until you're confident with the language. Granted, if you use a higher level language like VB6 (or .NET) like I do, you can start making cool stuff a whole lot sooner.

[/ad]

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
hey, ok, what is the first language i should learn and how do i learn stuff like that,
thanks
the TOTAL beginner.
I'd recomend taking a look at Python or a game basic such as BlitzBasic or DarkBasic. The last two cost money though.
Python!

(Okay, seriously, any language works. Python is simply my recommendation. There, we got that out of the way.)

If you're going to go with Python, you'll want to read How to think like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python and spend quality time with the Beginner's Guide to Python. If you're a Windows user, I recommend the ActivePython distribution.

Once you're a little bit comfortable, pick up PyGame, read A Newbie Guide to Pygame and have fun!
I say go for Java. You'll learn important OOP concepts (which can later be applied to C++), and you'll be able to write code that _should_ work on any platform with a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) installed. It'll take a while before the "slowness" of Java will become a real problem for ya (same as me).

Check out this site for some examples of applet games.

Check out this one for some games that will run independently.

- heap

Just a few comments on Java:
- OOP is overrated;
- public static void main is incomprehensible to a beginner;
- Java introduces more complexity than is, strictly speaking, necessary; and
- Java is an interesting language, but an evolutionary dead-end

All that said, it's a very, very good language. It's not an ideal first language, but it's a decent enough choice. YMMV.

[Edit: Fixed link.]

[Edited by - Oluseyi on September 15, 2004 4:24:58 PM]
The link you posted doesn't seem to work. While I agree with the 'public static void main' argument, most beginner tutorials will walk you through the basics of what that line means, and then in later examples will explain what is really going on. Of course, this is only my opinion on the matter.

- heap

btw, I'm interesting in reading the content in the above posted link. I hope it's still available!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement