Need suggestions for getting started

Started by
16 comments, last by melkor_98 19 years, 7 months ago
Alright you guys... I'll admit something to you. I'm an avid Java programmer. I just began programming Java3D and I must say this crappy language has finally touched my heart... sort of. I respect Java for it's amazing cross platform applications and it's ability to handle security, but the overall design of Java is bloated and illogical. There are too many times when i have to ask myself "why am i making this class again?" then the "Oh yeah... Java sucks".
Not to mention the attrocious load and execute times of Java.
However check out suns "Looking Glass" a complete revolution in desktop environments all coded in Java3d!!!
Just when you think it's dead, it keeps kicking you in the shin.
Besides in the business game, companies want you to know lots of languages and Java is on the rise. Did you know NASA used java to program it's mars rovers? Hmm then again, they didn't respond for a very long time... maybe it was the Exceptions....

Advertisement
Java is terrible for beginners, because it is a full-blown systems programming language, which is never easy for people who haven't got much grounding in the theory of programming already.

Quote:Original post by clownie
illogical. There are too many times when i have to ask myself "why am i making this class again?" then the "Oh yeah... Java sucks".

99 times in 100 any programmer saying that really means:

"Oh yeah...I suck, but the crappy languages I've been using up until now allowed me to get away with sloppy crap code that was a nightmare for everyone else who ever had to work with it afterwards"

Mainstream languages like Java, C++, etc never really "suck" except in really precise ways, e.g. C++ buffer overflows REALLY suck. If you catch yourself thinking the language itself sucks in some major way you ought to correct yourself (be less lazy) or risk saying it in public and get your head bitten off by people because of your ambiguous statements, or....just learn how to use the language properly. IMHO. Shrug.
You can't go wrong learning the fundamentals of programming. Try getting a copy of QBasic and play with input, output, variables, loops and conditionals.
No bombs, No guns, just an army of game creators...
I'd recomend taking a look at Python or a game basic such as BlitzBasic or DarkBasic. The last two cost money though.

-no basic, bais is a crutch for kids that cant program.
go to gamefaqs game design and programming board, the will help you.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Just a few comments on Java:
- OOP is overrated;
- public static void main is incomprehensible to a beginner;
- Java introduces more complexity than is, strictly speaking, necessary; and
- Java is an interesting language, but an evolutionary dead-end

All that said, it's a very, very good language. It's not an ideal first language, but it's a decent enough choice. YMMV.

[Edit: Fixed link.]

PG is considered to be a bit of a loon, even within much of his beloved Hacker community. He scores big with fellow Lisp-fanboys, but gets a mixed reaction elsewhere. Sad to say in my experience his work generally only gets referenced (as above) by people with a knee-jerk reaction against **insert new technology here** but lack the understanding or intellect to critisise it themselves.
Python + PyGame is one of the finest starting points in game development.
Lol, I think you're all gonna destroy his brain or something, just use basic or python or something, try not to get into something like java or c++ till you truly understand variables, arrays, functions, inputs, outputs and how the computing co-ordinates work (x and y stuff)

If your an absolute NOoob and you want to start building games immeidately, theres gamemaker

http://www.gamemaker.nl

and clickteam's stuff, but I've never used clickteam's stuff so I dont know the link to thier site...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement