Sign in to follow this  

Debugging wierdness in VS.NET ??

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out the debugger in VS.NET. I used to program in VS 6.0 but made the leap. Anyhow, I find that when I try to debug and look at local variables....say in a function, it won't list them..If I mkae hte same variables "Global" then it'll list them. How can I change this so that it will do like VS6.0 does and list the local variables too?? Here's an example void foo(void){ // local variables int x=0, y=0; x += 2; y++; return; } If I debug this in VS6.0 it will tell me the values of x and y as I move through them with f10, however if I try doing it in VS.NET it'll say they're undefined, unles x and y are global variables. Any help would be very very much very very appreciated!!! ~Bolt

Clean your project and rebuild it. Be sure any PDB files in the project folder are gone! VS.NET may be using the older version of the debug symbols instead of building its own perhaps?

I hope my ignorance helps others! hehe. I don't know if it was this way in VS 6.0 (I guess not because I never noticed it until now) but it seems that the debug version and release version setting are completely independent. So what it was was that I was doing a release version, and when I switched to the debug version I had to adjust the linker settings to inlcude all the .lib files all over again, etc... once I did that, it worked.... OH boy!!! Love that .net!

~Bolt

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.