Debugging wierdness in VS.NET ??

Started by
2 comments, last by Boltimus 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out the debugger in VS.NET. I used to program in VS 6.0 but made the leap. Anyhow, I find that when I try to debug and look at local variables....say in a function, it won't list them..If I mkae hte same variables "Global" then it'll list them. How can I change this so that it will do like VS6.0 does and list the local variables too?? Here's an example void foo(void){ // local variables int x=0, y=0; x += 2; y++; return; } If I debug this in VS6.0 it will tell me the values of x and y as I move through them with f10, however if I try doing it in VS.NET it'll say they're undefined, unles x and y are global variables. Any help would be very very much very very appreciated!!! ~Bolt
~Bolt"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." This I did...
Advertisement
Clean your project and rebuild it. Be sure any PDB files in the project folder are gone! VS.NET may be using the older version of the debug symbols instead of building its own perhaps?
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Are you in debug or release mode?
I hope my ignorance helps others! hehe. I don't know if it was this way in VS 6.0 (I guess not because I never noticed it until now) but it seems that the debug version and release version setting are completely independent. So what it was was that I was doing a release version, and when I switched to the debug version I had to adjust the linker settings to inlcude all the .lib files all over again, etc... once I did that, it worked.... OH boy!!! Love that .net!

~Bolt
~Bolt"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." This I did...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement