Difference between Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual C++.net?

Started by
31 comments, last by Xai 19 years, 7 months ago
1) use source tags.
2) There was no reason to repost that
3) Finally, most people will find that offensive, I would sugest changing it.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement
Fixed. Now that I'm not offending anyone, could you take a look. How do I make .net, run just regular (unmanaged, I guess) C++ code?
You choose the proper project type.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

I see. Which should I choose? For just regular old, plane jane C++. "Hello World" style.
Win32 Project, or Win32 Console Project.

I have no idea how to work .net. Any tutorials. So, I got File>New Project. I pick Win32 Console Project. I name is test20. It creates a new project, but it already has code.

// Test20.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.//#include "stdafx.h"int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]){	return 0;}

I deleted that crap and just made this simple program.

//Hello World#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main(){cout << "Hello, World" << endl;return 0;}

Of course it didn't worked when I went Build> Build Test20

What the heck is going on.
In the wizard, click "Application Settings" and change it to "Empty Project"

It works. What the hell did that do? My "Happy" program works too. What does empty application do?

When that box is checked all, my C++ knowledge works perfectly. All my previous programs too. However, without that box checked, watch out. Can you explain that option to me?

Also, how do I default .net to the standard C++ stuff. After the things above, I opened the Happy-O-Meter.vcproj. It loaded my program full of crap again, and when I went to build it woulnd't build. It added stdafx.cpp, stdafx.h, resource files folder, a readme. I don't want all that stuff. Plus, then my program wouldn't run.

Found some good articles on Managed vs. Unmanaged C++. I think I'm starting to see the light however, I'm still open for suggestions and comments.

http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/01/13/intromcpp.html
http://www.developer.com/net/cplus/print.php/2197621

[Edited by - ncasebee on September 15, 2004 10:42:29 PM]
Not ticking Empty Project will enable pre-compiled headers.

You pretty much put your common header stuff in stdafx.h and include that into every source file, and it compiles heaps faster.

When the precompiled header "stdafx.h" is not included errors will occur, unless ofcourse, its disabled.

You should be able to google it for more info...
If you don't plan on taking advantage of managed code, you should probably use a non .NET compiler. Even if you compile your program into an exe, there are still .NET runtime dependices (meaning you still have to have .NET installed).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement