Difference between Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual C++.net?

Started by
31 comments, last by Xai 19 years, 7 months ago
Here is my current libary of books, on my way to becoming able to code and game develop. I would like to code for the Xbox, and make mods for the upcoming HL2. Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition) Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX C++ by Dissection Big C++ Introduction to Programming with C++ (3rd Edition .Net) Introduction to Programming with C++ (2nd Edition 6.0) Focus on SDL I have gotten through my first book, Introduction to Programming with C++(2nd edition.) I used an Intro copy of Visual C++ 6.0. However, now when I try to code in .Net, everything is different. The Introduction to Programming with C++(3rd Edition .Net) is a lot different. For instance. In 6.0 you could use the getline function to get a line of input text. However in .net, it's something like something::readline(). All the funtions now have scope resolution operators. Basically I don't know what to do. Should I just work through, the .Net book. However, my Big C++ and C++ by Dissection are 6.0 based I think. I got the Big C++ book, from my college book store. That's the book they are teaching this year, for C++. How different are 6.0 and .net? I thought it was all C++? What's my best course of action. In the book I went through I learned arrays, objects, classes, general math, if, thens, repetition, and some other stuff. I just am a little confused. What should I do? Can you recommend any more good books?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ncasebee
Here is my current libary of books, on my way to becoming able to code and game develop. I would like to code for the Xbox, and make mods for the upcoming HL2.

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition)
Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX
C++ by Dissection
Big C++
Introduction to Programming with C++ (3rd Edition .Net)
Introduction to Programming with C++ (2nd Edition 6.0)
Focus on SDL

I have gotten through my first book, Introduction to Programming with C++(2nd edition.) I used an Intro copy of Visual C++ 6.0. However, now when I try to code in .Net, everything is different. The Introduction to Programming with C++(3rd Edition .Net) is a lot different. For instance. In 6.0 you could use the getline function to get a line of input text. However in .net, it's something like something::readline(). All the funtions now have scope resolution operators. Basically I don't know what to do. Should I just work through, the .Net book. However, my Big C++ and C++ by Dissection are 6.0 based I think. I got the Big C++ book, from my college book store. That's the book they are teaching this year, for C++.

How different are 6.0 and .net? I thought it was all C++? What's my best course of action. In the book I went through I learned arrays, objects, classes, general math, if, thens, repetition, and some other stuff. I just am a little confused.

What should I do? Can you recommend any more good books?

I also use c++.net, and as far as I know, you can still program pretty much the same way as 6.0, with a few changes here and there. C++.net has a few additional libraries and I'm told it's similar to c# and java-style programming, but you can use either style, depending on whatever you're comfortable with. It probably won't hurt to learn both styles, anyway.

To be more specific, just include the older header files and you'll be fine with what you've already learned.
.Net is a nickname Microsoft coined meaning "buy all our new stuff." It has nothing to do with C++. The same programs will work in Visual C++ 6.0 and .Net.

The same getline stuff should work in .net, unless all of the correct headers weren't installed for some reason. Since the language didn't change, scope modifiers haven't changed. The same rules apply. If you didn't have to use them in 6.0, then it's because you got lucky.
Visual C++.NET is better in every possible way...except maybe slow computer friendliness. It doesn't require you to use .NET at all.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Visual C++.NET is better in every possible way...except maybe slow computer friendliness. It doesn't require you to use .NET at all.

I agree. The .NET IDE is much better.

I realize that "everything should be working" isn't the answer you were really looking for, but if you're having trouble with anything that worked in 6.0, posting some code might get you more helpful answers to your specific questions.
As far as what you could do, I would recommend -not- spending your time reading the C++ book at it relates to C++.NET. That is unless you want to learn to code in Managed C++, which is different from the other books you have that will be using Unmanaged C++.

I believe that it is better to stay away from spending time learning .NET now, because for one thing there's the issue of platform independence (.NET is a Microsof thing). C++ has been around for some time, and while I don't want to start one of those high-level vs lower-level coding fights, I think if you're learning then you should stick to the basics which right now is C++.
Quote:Original post by wyrzy
As far as what you could do, I would recommend -not- spending your time reading the C++ book at it relates to C++.NET. That is unless you want to learn to code in Managed C++, which is different from the other books you have that will be using Unmanaged C++.

I believe that it is better to stay away from spending time learning .NET now, because for one thing there's the issue of platform independence (.NET is a Microsof thing). C++ has been around for some time, and while I don't want to start one of those high-level vs lower-level coding fights, I think if you're learning then you should stick to the basics which right now is C++.

Actually, as far as I know, .NET is a standard/platform. They may have created it, but it can be ported. Ala the Mono Project.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by wyrzy
(.NET is a Microsof thing)
Nope. It's an ECMA standard, and Mono is a compliant implementation for Linux. There's also dotGNU (Linux), and Microsoft's shared source Rotor implementation.

Quote:Original post by ncasebee
I would like to code for the Xbox...
Be aware that the Xbox is officially a closed system. There is a homebrew scene out there, with various tools of it own, but it is not officially sanctioned.

That said, Xbox developers do use Visual Studio (and CodeWarrior, I hear) in conjunction with the Xbox Software Development Kit (XDK), so purchasing VS.NET will not be a hindrance.
Yeah with the Xbox I was interested in Homebrew

A term that is thrown around alot, is managed and unmanaged C++, what the heck are you guys talking about.

#include
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello, World" << endl;
return 0;
}

Is it the same in .net? That's the way I learned it.
Sorry Guys....Wasn't logged in.....Those previous posts were mine.

Oh yeah, the Happy o Meter Program wasn't right. So here it is again.
// Happy-o-Meter#include <iostream>#include <cctype>#include <string>#include <algorithm>using namespace std;int main(){	string name = "";			//Introduction	cout << "Hello and welcome to the Happy-O-Meter. Just enter your First and Last Name." << endl;	cout << "Enter x to exit program." << endl;	cout << endl;	cout << endl;	getline(cin, name);	transform(name.begin(), name.end(), name.begin(), toupper);	//compare	while(name != "X")	{		if(name == "MARC CUTLER" || name == "MARC")		{			cout << "Woah, you are extremely happy. If any men are present, please be happy." << endl;			cout << endl;		}		else		{				cout << "You are just fine, no happiness or happiness found." << endl;			cout << endl;		}							cout << "Please enter another name for the Happy o Meter to analyze." << endl;		getline(cin, name);		transform(name.begin(), name.end(), name.begin(), toupper);		system("cls");	}	cout << "You entered X, and decided to quit the Happy o Meter. Goodbye!" << endl;	return 0;}///////////////////////////////////

What would be different in .net?

[Edited by - ncasebee on September 15, 2004 7:11:29 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement